Sign in to follow this  

Any idea how to remove a broken tap?

I was modifying my '07 triple clamps so that I can run the OE '08 numberplate and snapped the tap in the second hole. :cheers:

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out? Below is what I was doing to the bottom clamp. Not sure what I'll do on the top.

Thank you for your help. :moon:

IMG_5512_web.jpg

IMG_5513_web.jpg

ez-out. They are reverse burred bits that will grab that allen head and twist it out. Left thread drill bit also may do it, or a combo. Dont have those then use vise grips.

Sorry, should have clarified. That's the one that worked perfectly. The other side is the side where the tap snapped off. There is absolutely nothing sticking up and you really can't drill the things (hardened steel).

Odds are you're going to have to pull the front end apart and chuck triple in a drill press or vertical mill. You just cant control things with a hand drill.

I'd yank it and try to center punch the broken tap to give the drill point somewhere to start, and try either a LH drill or EZ out. Taps aren't through hardnened, so the center should be soft enough to not need exotic drill material.

If that doesn't work, your definately looking at getting that on a mill, drilling the tap to remove it, then heli-coil the hole back to M6.

Actually, why not get the Cycra Stadium Pro Front # plate for an 08. They zip tie to the fork leg below the lower triple, as seen in my avatar.

Is the hole all the way through?? If so try driving out from the other side with a punch. If not I don't think you will get it out with out damaging the clamps. The Aluminum is way to soft and the tap to hard to drill out. Good luck

Thankfully, I bought them off of ebay so the investment is minimal. If I can't get it out, I'll just ride it until I save the $$$ for some aftermarket clamps.

Thanks. :moon:

Well, I gave it a good try but, short of taking it to a machine shop (waste of money on OE clamps), the tap just isn't going to come out. Sucks but what can you do? Accept it and move on.

I'll take a set of these in black and some twin-wall Renthals for Christmas Santa. :moon:

installed-5.jpg&usg=AFQjCNH2A2XtftASiVMivAuZeagD3qtYKA

go to Lowes and get a small round carbide bit for a dremel. you can get 1 about the size of a pencil lead. that will cut the tap out you just have to be careful.

vice grips? there is also a special tool just for taking broken taps out it kinda has litttle claws that go on each side of the tap and twist it out

I'll give the Lowe's deal a go but, for now, I'm just going to run it. There's nothing sticking out at all so vise grips, etc, are a no go.

Thanks guys. :moon:

Machine shop. A milling machine with a carbide end mill is the best bet. It shouldn't cost more than 1/2 hour labor.

I'm curious how well those extractors work. Normally when a tap breaks it's in there kinda tight.

I used a good hardened center punch too break apart a tap on one of my old cars. Took a little time but got it out.