Sign in to follow this  

08 rm250 questions

Just picked up an 08 rm250. Got a couple questions. Will an 03 pipe fit on it. The stock one has a couple dents and there is a brand new take off stock pipe from an 03 on ebay that I was going to get. Also does anyone make a weighted flywheel for the rm250s or is my only choice to get a flywheel weight that bolts on? Thanks.

The '03 pipe should bolt on but it won't be as good as the '08 pipe. Consider having the '08 pipe fixed or pick up an FMF Fatty ~ it is worth the money.

Sthealy (sp?) makes a FWW for the '08 RM250. Take into account how you ride and where you ride (MX, Off-Road, etc.) and then take your best shot at the FWW weight. What bike did you own before this one?

Thanks zig. Im coming off a 250f. I race harescrambles A class. Thats why I want to put a flywheel weight on it. I was tired of the 250f and I wanted to try a 2 stroke. I got a good deal on it so I figured why not. I had a 06 rm250 and it was a great bike.

I believe the 03 motor is mounted in the frame at slightly different angle to 08you should be looking at 06 onwards pipe.

I have 6oz on the flywheel of my 08 and find it helped with stalling issues in the tight woods, slow speed stuff.

Yea I got a 03 and it will not use any other year. The exhaust port was different that year and the pipe wont match up from any other years

ok thanks for the help. I want to add the flywheel weight for added traction Im not worried about the stalling issue I just want to have more traction and less wheel spin out of tight corners. I have talked to alot of people on 250 2 smokers in my series and they said that a flywheel weight is a must. Thanks for the info on the pipes.

If anyone has a stock pipe 06-08 that they want to sell Im looking for one. Unfortunately I can't afford a aftermaket one right now.

If the dents in your stock one aren't too heavy, you could block both ends of the pipe, fill with compressed air then heat the area of the dent with a blow torch. As the pipe warms up the dent pops out.

This works well even for dents on the pipe seams where a little more heat/air pressure may be needed.

You haven't mentioned how the power is with the dented pipe. If your bike seems like it doesn't have enuff power (which I doubt) then don't worry about it other than looks. The stock 08 pipe is a good pipe.

I prefer not to have fww for off road riding. I like the quick throttle response, and good clutch work prevents stalling.

Alex that's fine and dandy and not stepping on anybodies toes but there's a big diff between a 98 and 08 RM

You haven't mentioned how the power is with the dented pipe. If your bike seems like it doesn't have enuff power (which I doubt) then don't worry about it other than looks. The stock 08 pipe is a good pipe.

I have nothing to compare it to becuase I bought the bike with it dented, but I doubt it is effecting the power. I just hate to look of a clean 08 with a dented up pipe. Haha but I sure I will add a few dents to it myself. I am going to try the compressed air and heat. Thanks