Sign in to follow this  

'03 YZ250f Hot Cams worth it??

Just got this bike a few weeks ago and Im making my list of stuff to get over winter..

I was reading up on the stage 1 and stage 2 hotcams, heard stage 1's are better for MX for the low end grunt. BUT..

My questions to you guys are.. Are they worth it? Should I get just the intake, or the exhaust, or both?

Anyone that has them what power increase have you felt in the bike.. Is it worth the money?

Hotcams are really not bad for the price. If you are really technically competent you can make hotcams perform like the Web cams for half the price by changing the lobe centers.

We did the Stage 1 exhaust on my son's 02, and that helped with starting drill. The 03 has auto decomp. If you're looking for a performance upgrade, look at a slip-on or whole muffler system first. I did a Dr D when I first got mine and noticed an immediate performance increase. Then for a test I put the stock one on for a quick lap, and it ran better with the Dr D. Tonight I just put on an Akrapovic so I'm itching to see what that does. When I cranked it, I noticed it was quieter than the Dr. D.

Well when I got this thing it already had an FMF powerbomb header and an '06 stock muffler on it. So its pretty snappy now.. even though that damn mufflers pretty restricting.

What kinda jetting did you have to do to get that full system running correctly?

Well when I got this thing it already had an FMF powerbomb header and an '06 stock muffler on it. So its pretty snappy now.. even though that damn mufflers pretty restricting.

What kinda jetting did you have to do to get that full system running correctly?

The stock 06 silencer isn't restrictive at all, it is actually a pretty good performing exhaust.

The stock 06 silencer isn't restrictive at all, it is actually a pretty good performing exhaust.

That explains why the last guy put it on there then..

I removed the stock muffler and ran the Dr. D for about 2 yrs. A friend of mine crashed and smashed his header on the the Akrapovic so he gave me a deal on just the muffler. It has more perforations in the inner pipe and a larger volume of silencer packing and a spark arrestor. The only thing about the Dr. D was is needed repacking often, but then if you ride every week, it will.