Sign in to follow this  

06 WR450F fork preload spacers?

I'm replacing the stock fork springs with .48kg springs on my 06wr450f. Suspension is stock valving, well stock everything.

The Yamaha manual states:

"Caution: When using a spring with a spring rate of .469kg, do not install two or more adjustment washers for each front fork."

I'm just swapping out the springs b/c I'm a 220lbs B rider, but will not be racing anymore, just trailriding, mainly on mountain singletrack. Figured the stock valving would be fine riding at 60-70%. So I'm not after the optimum settings. Mainly just a plush cadillac ride.

Anyone know how many spacers are in there stock?

Is it a big deal to just swap the springs and not worry about it? I'm about 237lbs in my dirt bike costume. Figured I could use some preload in the forks anyway.

Thanks for any assistance.

I would guess they have one washer in there std, but its a guess.

And the winner is.............Shockdoc!

There were no washers. But, the stock spring was 456mm in length, and the new Factory Connection .48kg spring was 464mm in length.

Any issues with the different lengths? 8mm could be nothing or it could matter. I don't know.

Thanks.

Apart from valving AFAIK the forks on my WR250F-06 are the same as yours. I measured the spring cavity and it is 460mm. This measurement was taken with the top out spring at rest.

I am running 464mm RaceTech 0.46 springs with no additional preload on my winter setup and with one 3mm spacer on summer setup, resulting 4mm and 7mm preload respectively. Works for me.

Thanks for the responses. We will see how she rides tomorrow.

I was wondering if the reason the stock spring is 8mm shorter is b/c it is sacked/worn out?

You probably got YZ instead of WR springs. They will be to harsh with that extra preload.

doc

Well, they felt great. We rode very rocky mountain singletrack with some jeep roads mixed in today. Pretty much the same National Enduro trail from 2007 at Barnwell Mtn, TX. Place is pretty rough and is a great test of your suspension set up. The new springs were pretty good. I was surprised at how well the bike worked. It always amazes me how good a bike gets when you get the right springs and sag setting. I was planning on doing a full revalve, but I don't think it is necessary. Suspension was really good. I'm not going to touch it until I blow a seal. This is really cool, b/c I know that when I do get a revalve it is going to be even better.

The WR450 is growing on me. Bike is a much better handling bike than I perceived it to be. Thing is pretty sweet. Even in tricky off camber rooted rocky tight singletrack. It isn't as good as my old GasGas EC250, but it isn't that far off. 4 strokes sure have come a long way.