Sign in to follow this  

'05 CRF 450R...Hard starter after putting on new exhaust?

Just put a Dr.D full system on to replace a broken Yosh syst. and it has been a hard starter ever since. Other symptoms include ocassional backfire when trying to start, overall less resistance on the kick start lever (hard to feel top dead center, not like this before), need to use the hot start lever to get her going even when cold.

Once the bike is warmed up it will start up easily if I use the hot start lever and the bike runs strong. This bike used to be an easy starter. Any ideas on how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fireco

I would try adjusting the fuel screw in or out. After putting on my aftermarket pipe, I had to turn fuel mixture screw out about 3/4 turn. My bike does not start as easy in the cold. But this works best. Turn fuel on, choke on, twist throttle 5 times and kick it. Twist throttle 3 more times and kick and repeat if needed.

I have heard some pipes need new jetting.

Good luck.

Edited by skychicken
spelling

Could a poor seal at the head pipe because of the crush ring cause this?:moon: Might cause some air fuel ratio problems at slow speeds (engine cranking) because of the overlap time when exhaust and intake valves are both open. Just a thought.

That DR. D exhaust amounts to putting a cork in the pipe. You probably need a smaller pilot jet.

everything you described says rich to me.

2nd that one!

The DRD pipes are like a stocker with S/A option.

I have a 04 450r and after a fantastic rainy day ride mine was slightly back firing but everytime i chopped the throttle it cut out on me. Needless to say after cleaning my Carb and putting everything back together i realized my hot start connector was stripped. After purchasing a new one the bike starts within 5 kicks but doesnt have any compression and just feels everything but correct when kicking it. I was planning on getting my valves done but im also going to check the fuel screw before hand.