2003 vs 2000 YZ250

My bike magazine collection terminates around 1998, I am trying to research the difference between the 2000 YZ250 and the 2003. Were there wholesale changes or just refinements? I have an opportunity to score a 2000 cheap, and it woud be used exclusively for woods work.

The biggest difference you woudl find between the two is plastic. The 2000 used the older style while the 2003 uses the new style. There are also some minor motor differences, but nothing serious.

I do prefer the shape of the newer tank, but I dont know how much I would be willing to pay extra for the difference. You would be crazy to pass up a bargain priced 2000 yz 250.

You could always swap some of the newer style plastics onto the 2000 with ease. If i had to pick between a 2000 and an aluminum framed model I would spend the extra on the aluminum frame version, but 2000 to 2003 are pretty minor differences and I would go with the cheapest one.

I was considering trying to pick up a new(er) yz, but with all the stuff that I have done to mine (a 2000 also), it really is hard to justify selling mine which I have already done a TON of stuff to it and start out fresh again! I had my suspension re-valved, steering stabilizer, wr trans gears (3rd-5th), 18" rear tire/rim, 3.2 gallon tank, fmf expansion chamber and spark arrestor, a couple of flywheel weights and a whole lot of guards and a full wrap skid plate (amongst a bunch of other things!). The bike handles like a champ on single track and on fire roads (for transfers and such). The beauty of a bike that is in this.....umm.....vintage.... is that parts are all over the place on ebay and such! I say if it is a good deal, grab up the 00!

I was considering trying to pick up a new(er) yz, but with all the stuff that I have done to mine (a 2000 also), it really is hard to justify selling mine which I have already done a TON of stuff to it and start out fresh again! I had my suspension re-valved, steering stabilizer, wr trans gears (3rd-5th), 18" rear tire/rim, 3.2 gallon tank, fmf expansion chamber and spark arrestor, a couple of flywheel weights and a whole lot of guards and a full wrap skid plate (amongst a bunch of other things!). The bike handles like a champ on single track and on fire roads (for transfers and such). The beauty of a bike that is in this.....umm.....vintage.... is that parts are all over the place on ebay and such! I say if it is a good deal, grab up the 00!

I agree. I've considered selling my '99 several times with the intention of getting on '06 or newer. I just can't bring myself to do it with everything I have into it already. Its hard to believe its 11 years old though.

Ooohhh, you guys are gonna get me in trouble with the wife. If I go and get this puppy I am gonna have to hide it until the Husky sells....Doh!

I'll go tomorrow and look...Damn.

I was kinda hoping you would shut me down and tell me to stay away.

Thanks Fellows

JR

I guess I am one of the lucky ones....... My wife's first reaction when I want to sell a bike (dirt bike) is either A. No, what are you going to ride then? or B. You have another one lined up? Because you aren't going bikeless. (unless if it is a streetbike, then I hear her constantly b*tch and complain......she is sorta stereotypical with sportbikes....only idiots ride them....). Another point that I don't pick up another bike is that I guarantee that my 00 (which is a decade old...) is still just as fast in the trails as a brand new one.

I have an 03 . Some one correct me if I'm wrong the major difference is the frame and sub frame . Motor is close and plastic maybe the same , but I think some changes in the plastic also . Good luck with the wife .

I have an 03 . Some one correct me if I'm wrong the major difference is the frame and sub frame . Motor is close and plastic maybe the same , but I think some changes in the plastic also . Good luck with the wife .

The engine is pretty much the same other than some subtle changes with crank, flywheel, stator and some porting from what I understand (But it is all able to be switched, the cases are the same and cylinders can be transferred from one year to another from 99-10). You are correct on the frame/subframe/plastics.

in 2002 yamaha redesigned the motor. look at the way the cylinder is positioned. also i don;t think the 2000 has a power jet carb either. correct me if i am wrong please

in 2002 yamaha redesigned the motor. look at the way the cylinder is positioned. also i don;t think the 2000 has a power jet carb either. correct me if i am wrong please

Engine was redesigned in 99 and 2000 is the first year to have the newer type carb (the one with TPS and solenoid valve).

Once a upon a time, I had a 2000 and 2006 yz 250. For some reason the

2000 was better on the trails than the 06. It felt way more planted. Maybe it was a bit heavier. I sure do miss that bike. I wish had never sold it. :moon:

Yep,

New engine with cylinder at different angle (to produce more power?)

Power jet carb with TPS

Aluminum sub frame

I could have sworn that the front forks changed, but maybe that was in 05...

Yep,

New engine with cylinder at different angle (to produce more power?)

Power jet carb with TPS

Aluminum sub frame

I could have sworn that the front forks changed, but maybe that was in 05...

The engine is the same (minor porting & crankshaft differences)

The forks changed to 48mm in 04

Have a question about this topic. I have two yz 250.one 2000 and the other 2003. Mi actual plan was to rebuild the engine of the 2000 and keep it in spare for my 2003 (principal bike). My question ist. the 2000 engine would it fit bolt on in the 2003 frame? 

Here about different carburator and diferent swing arm shaft size. Let me know guys thanks ?

Is there some reason you can't just keep both bikes and ride one when the other is down?  The reason I ask is that, in my experience, there is rarely a need for a spare engine, as the engine is not usually what fails and needs to be fixed before next weekend's ride.  I think it would be much better to have a second bike waiting in the wings than a second engine.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

14 hours ago, Marcus19998 said:

Have a question about this topic. I have two yz 250.one 2000 and the other 2003. Mi actual plan was to rebuild the engine of the 2000 and keep it in spare for my 2003 (principal bike). My question ist. the 2000 engine would it fit bolt on in the 2003 frame? 

Here about different carburator and diferent swing arm shaft size. Let me know guys thanks ?

Carb will swap if you just leave it on the 03 cable when swapping. 

The swing arm shaft is the problem that will take more work than needed. Keeping both, or selling one complete is the better plan if you don't want a complete spare.