Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Local riding, Denver, general

Greetings. Thought I'd jump over here from the DRZ400 section, just to say hi, make contact, ask for some riding suggestions, before I head out to IMI Motorsports in Erie.

I enjoy most dirt riding, though I am too bad at MX to enjoy that very much. I ride a lot in Southern Colorado, and some in Summit County. Looking for new places to ride. I've heard that Rampart is fun but has radically too much traffic. At some point, I will get over there, hopefully on a weekday. I'm have been a bit surprised that I haven't been able to find places to ride up in the foothills close by. My question is, am I missing some of the closer areas?

I know of the MX tracks, live a few miles from Thunder Valley. Not sure it's the answer for me and for the DRZ. Been to IMI a couple of times, going to try to get there this afternoon. I do like that there is more there than just the supercross track. Fridays don't seem to be too crowded there, either.

Part of the deal is that my riding friends live an hour or more away, so if/when I'm riding close by, it is by myself, I don't want to push too much, get too far from the truck, etc. Nice to have people around, but a problem if there are too many.

Last question. I've heard that there is a way to ride from the foothills (maybe Rampart?) all the way to Salida, entirely off road. I first heard it was all logging/fire roads, then that it was a lot single track. I have since heard that there are large stretches of paved or maintained road that require a plate. Anyone know first hand about this?

Anybody riding this afternoon at IMI???

Les

I'm out in littleton as well, ride Rampart a lot through the summer. Same situation, most friends I ride with are >1hr out. Put on a lot of miles solo after work. Rampart on the weekends is a nightmare unless you're way out on the south side. Anywhere near the main road is flat out dangerous. Weekdays/evenings aren't bad. There were times I was the only one out there. Further south into co.spgs/woodland park is 717 and rainbow falls. Neither are as bad as Rampart on weekends.

Don't know about rampart to salida via dirt... I hadn't heard of that one. If you do find it, let me know. I'm definately interested in that :moon:

Never got into mx myself, hit VDR once and really didn't care for it. If i'm gonna put 20mi on the bike I don't want to see the same thing 10 times.

Your DRZ plated? If you don't do much mx, dualsport is definately the way to go out here.

well.

you live in a state that has more neet riding then just about anyplace..{for now}

Rampart is ok in the Spring, and Fall, late Winter, make a trip to Grand Junction..or go a bit more and hit Moab.

when the snow starts melting, man, you can ride every weekend, and never ride the same place twice.

Impire, Idaho Springs, GeorgeTown, Argentine pass, LeadVille, on and on..

we start planning rides, in Feb , for March...

i stay off the MX tracks, i get bored fast, and take the winter to go through my bikes and get en ready for Summer.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I had heard that Rampart was so busy as to be dangerous. Good to know that weekdays are better. I can get away on Fridays, sometimes. I'll definitely check it out.

Snowmule, The DRZ isn't plated. I've ridden a DR650 for years. Fun bike. I was just ready to get back to full on dirt.

Huskychuck, I'd be interested to learn more about where you can ride around Idaho Springs and Georgetown. Those are both fairly close to me (less than an hour).

Looking forward to exploring more of the 4X4 roads I've driven at times. MUCH more fun on the bike. I couldn't agree more that there are great places to ride in the state (all over the west, actually). Looking for something close that I can ride for a couple of hours, but am really looking forward to longer trips as well. Looking forward to Moab sometime as well.

Thanks guys.

look me up when the weather warms and the snow melts, i do a day ride over Idaho springs into George town , try and get your bike plated..life will be much easier if you do.

youll never see an MX track again, once you find the trails.