Sign in to follow this  

06 CRF450 got way too hot!!

Hey guys I need some advice. I let a buddy of mine ride my bike.. Long story short he rode around in first gear all day and let it idle way too long. I was told when he was riding back to camp it was steaming like crazy. So I checked to see how much coolant was actually boiled off. I was able to dump in approximatly 900cc of water. Which is 100cc more then the fluidyne radiators I have are said to hold.

So now that I know he boiled all the coolent off what do I check next to see what damage has been done. I was thinking drain the oil to see if there is any water in it. What kind of damage can be done to this type of bike after riding it with no coolant in it for a ten minutes or more??

We wil see. It does make a funny noise when you slowly kick it though. Kinda like a hollow watery noise. I guess I got a project for this weekend.

I love this bike so much I hate to see it get treated like this. Gonna have to kick my friends a$$.

Keep an eye out for coolant loss as the head gasket is typiically the first thing to go when run low on coolant and overheated. Once it does it's initial burp of coolant after the refill, the coolant level should stabilize just above the cores of the radiator. If it drops below the cores, you have a head gasket leak.