Sign in to follow this  

Is it safe to make your quad wider?

I'm planning on making the quad just a bit wider because I feel its unstable in off camber turns compared to most other quads. It's a grizzly 700. Can I find spacers to push the wheel out just half an inch, so total would be one inch wider overall. Does it exist?

Yes, Spacers are available I'm not sure how thick they are. Yes you can make it wider. If you don't go too wide, the extra leverage and wear on the suspension will be negligible.

I don't blame you! I don't know why Yamaha makes their machines so narrow? My buddy has a griz, and I easily go in nasty technical terrain on my Rancher (SRA), where he often fears to tread!

One solution is to get aftermarket rims/tires that have a wider offset than the stock ones. I have a set of ITP rims with ITP Holeshot ATR's on them that I use for snow riding (I still prefer the stock rims and tires for dry ground), and it makes me at least +4" wider.

I personally wouldn't use spacers. I would save up some money for new wheels, definitely something stronger than factory (like Hipers, or a beadlock wheel). You can order most of those with different offsets.