Sign in to follow this  

Pilot Jet Cleaning. Need advice

I've done a bit of research but need to get to a very specific question on cleaning the pilot jets. I just purchased several used dirt bikes that haven't be used much and I want to start off with good running machines before riding them.

Cleaning the carbs is the area I'm having the most issues with. Here is my question.

cleaning the pilot jet on my 125 several times brought all bad results. Then my neighbor told me to clean the pilot jet. So I took it out and asked him to do it and he did. Bam! The bike starts on second kick. He said he used a torch tip cleaning wire which I am very familiar with.

Now I'm cleaning the other pilot jets and they seem to have something solid in the exact middle. Is this gunk or is there a screen mesh of some sort in there. I'm afraid of damaging the jet by forcing the wire through the jet.

Should the proper size wire be able to pass completely through the pilot jet?

I use a striped piece of electical wire and just push it all the way through you will not hurt it...

I did that but the wire would not pentetrate the "clog" So I tried a steel sewing pin which also would not penetrate although it may be too big for the 12.5 PJ I'm working with now off my daughters TTR-90. I had the same consearns for the YZ426f I just did. I let it soak over nite in solvent. Will try again today.

I plan on keeping the carbs drained after every ride in the future but want to get them running tight first.

You dont need to drain the carb after each ride....only if the bike is going to be sitting for extended periods of time (maybe anything over a month??) Try brake carb cleaner and some compressed air. Just be careful sticking anything metal that is harder than brass into the jet. the hole in the center is very specific, and you dont want to wallow it out at all. Your on the right track with the soaking, just try air!

Tom

Thanks all for good advise. I bought some Yamalube Carb. cleaner dip that works wonders compared to all the other solvents I used. Almost instantly softens the green varnish to where it can be wiped away or blown out. Highly recommend it.

I bought some new pilot jets for all the neglected carbs as well. Especially those with recommended larger size jets. The two YZFs . The DR125 will have to get a final cleaning. TTR-90 got a new jet and runs like a champ as does the Yz426f.

a good running fleet is an awesome feeling! Im still working on that....haha

Tom

True. I think it's a revolving door of maintinance. Get one partially dialed in work on the next one then go back and fine tune the half tuned by which time it time to start the whole cycle again.

There are generally two jets. A main jet and a pilot jet.

I always just use carb cleaner. You have to be VERY careful you don't get it dirty putting it back in. You should clean the WHOLE carb with carb cleaner. Work in as clean an environment as possible. I tend to NOT force anything but carb cleaner down the jet holes...

If you cann't get a strand of stripped electrical wire threw the pilot jet soak it in carb cleaner or buy a new jet. once your carb is nice and clean install a fuel filter so gremlins in your tank don't plug things up. Yes we should all have clean tanks but thats just not reality

I ended up buying a couple of new pilot jets after researching the best jetting for my bike and riding elevations. Did the fuel filters as well. Note to all when cleaning jets also clean and blow out jet orifices in carb.

If you use a carb cleaning dip like I did then you need to make sure you get all of the dip fluid off before installing the carbs. Fuel and yamalube carb cleaning dip creates a soapy like substance that will gum up the works again.

I know everyone knows to wear a faceshield or at least glasses when your blowing anything out with air..........just saying