Sign in to follow this  

Actual capacity of IMS 3.2 tank

Does it really hold 3.2 gallons? I thought I read something somewhere that it really only holds closer to 3.0 gallons. I want a larger tank and the IMS 3.2 is my favorite but I'd hate to swap for such a small increase in capacity.

Back years ago there were a lot of people who would fill their tank with hot water & put a couple of pounds of air on it & hold the air until the water cooled. It would ballon the tank out & you could get a little more capacity from it. CAUTION - when I say a couple of pounds of air I mean no more than 5psi as you don't want it to detonate or open up like a book.

Is this a question like,,, Who is in Grants Tomb?

The IMS 3.2 holds ........3.2 gal :moon: It's plastic, it can be deformed, it can be misshapen from the factory, from shipping or storage.. It may hold more of less fuel then 3.2, but that is what the tank is designed to hold. mine does... and My 2.6 holds 2.6 gal.

Is this a question like,,, Who is in Grants Tomb?

The IMS 3.2 holds ........3.2 gal :moon: It's plastic, it can be deformed, it can be misshapen from the factory, from shipping or storage.. It may hold more of less fuel then 3.2, but that is what the tank is designed to hold. mine does... and My 2.6 holds 2.6 gal.

:smirk: I know, sounds like a stupid question, but I swear I saw it held less. Different tank, but according to Just Gas Tanks the Acerbis 4.2 tank actually only carries 3.7 gallons. I just want to make sure I'm going to get what's advertised before I shell out $250. :cheers:

Plus, as they "age", they get slightly larger in capacity, probably due to the plastic relaxing like PT says.

IMHO, 5 psi is too much -- more like 3. Whenever I need to apply pressure to a gas tank (for example, if I've welded a patch on a steel tank and need to check for leaks) I always use a 12" length of road-bicycle inner-tube hose clamped between the petcock and the air nozzle. It gives you good visual feedback, and acts like an electrical fuse to prevent damage to the tank. Trust me, this is very good practice.

i have a 3.2 and if i fill it all the way to the top i think i have got 3.4or 5

Agreed.....mine has got to be over 3.2g. I'm not complaining though!

Al that is a good idea with the tube. I used a bicyle pump through the vent hose on the filler cap.

Something to look out for, I'm 99% sure I have the ims 3.2 gallon tank, is that because of the hump in the middle, gas gets trapped in the right side of the tank. Also, I'm not sure who did the install on the petcock on my tank (done previous to my ownership), but the hose sticks up a couple of inches, which also leaves gas trapped in the left. So I fill up every 100 miles, and I can go around 130 if it's completely full before I start to get worried. Hope this helps.