Sign in to follow this  

modify wheel set up or stay sumo?

Hey all,

I haven't been around much but now that cold weather has officially kicked in I am once again thinking of how to make the XR better. As most of you know I was not happy with the highway performance of the pig with the stock wheels so I went the sumo set up. With all of the other farkles it makes a good commuter bike.....but still not quite what I am after. Recently I have been salivating over the new f800gs but honestly I am not about to drop 15k on a bike with my schedule the way it is now. I spend about 70% of my time on pavement with the rest split up over fire roads that range from year round dirt roads to seasonal roads that are little more than goat paths. What I have found is that the 17" front is not really ideal for some of the "off" roads that I like to travel, it does okay in dry but is downright scary if the roads are wet. I plan to add a scotts stabilizer with the RSW triple clamp which many on here have given rave reviews. I have the stock wheels still sitting in the shed and looking at them the other day got me to thinking if I were to lace up the front to a 19" hoop and add the stabilizer I should have a comparable highway mount to my present set up , with the added ability to handle the gravel roads better than the 17"sumo set up. I could sell the sumo wheels mount the stock rear with the 19" front and some decent dual sport tires and have a better mount for adventure style riding which is really more what I do, I figure at this point if I want to ride single track I will pick up an xr 250! Just wondering what some of you think, to summarize:

1. Sell the stock wheels and add the stabilizer with the present sumo 17" wheel set up.

2. Lace a 19" hoop on the stock front hub, go back to the 18"stock rear wheel and add the stabilizer.

In the end I really need to be highway capable more than off road capable, most of my riding is commuting from my house to the family farm 21 miles away so I have to place priority on highway, though if I could add some stability for "off" surfaces and maintain 90% of the highway capablility I would have a bike that would be almost ideal. I plan to add heated grips so with the aftermarket saddle I could have a really cool "adventure" style bike that could soak up just about any surface thrown its way. Just looking for some opinions......btw the idea of selling the sumo wheels is just a thought at this time.....keep that in mind with your responses!!!! :moon:

Tim

Keep the sumo setup and buy some Avon Distanzia for the stock wheels for when you want to go off highway. YMMN

Oh and what big bore XR are you ridding?

Keep the sumo setup and buy some Avon Distanzia for the stock wheels for when you want to go off highway. YMMN

Oh and what big bore XR are you ridding?

He has a XR650L in his sig?