Sign in to follow this  

Triple Clamps for 09 CRF450

I am trying to purchase New Triple Clamps for my son for Xmas but I am a little confused. I don't see anyone that sells stock offset clamps they are 21mm or 22mm or 24mm. What is stock? What is the difference in handling with the difference offsets?

Motosport sells Pro Circuit, Pro Taper and Ride Engineering in 20mm. They also sell RG3, but don't list the offset. I would imagine TT store sells some, also.

A steeper offset clamp (smaller number) offers less rake and less trail. That gets into "stablity" discussion which is confusing. http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/trail/

More trail increases caster effect is how I remember it.

Trail which can be thought of as the extent to which the front wheel of a bicycle follows its steering axis. The trail of a bicycle makes it easier to ride because it links the lean angle of the frame with the turning angle of the fork. Leaning the bike causes the fork to turn in that direction, because the frame is lower after the fork has turned.

A bicycle is said to be stable when it has a strong correcting tendency in its steering. Imagine a moving bicycle that has its front wheel knocked sideways by a rock or chuckhole, so that it is suddenly turning. If the bicycle has no trail, there will be no steering correction. A rider who does not think quickly and manually steer the bike will continue to move forward as the bike turns, and will get dumped on the road when the bike no longer provides any support. Now consider a bicycle with trail. As the rider continues forward and the bike turns, it will be pulled into a lean. The front wheel will turn by itself in the direction that the rider is moving, and the bicycle will position itself under the rider.

Note that a more stable bike will help the rider stay upright, but cannot be steered with as much precision.

Stick with stock. It is 20mm.

I am trying to purchase New Triple Clamps for my son for Xmas but I am a little confused. I don't see anyone that sells stock offset clamps they are 21mm or 22mm or 24mm. What is stock? What is the difference in handling with the difference offsets?

20mm is stock. Ride Engineering now only makes 21 and 22mm versions from what I understand. The new 21mm replaces the 20's. To help with a nervous front end, you can run 21 or 22's.

I have the RG3 with stock 20mm and love them. I agree the Applied's are a good deal and save weight as well.

I run pro circuit 20mm and am happy with the quality,clamping,and bar clamps. They are top notch. The others are very nice as well.

Applied makes 20,22 & 24mm offsets for the 09/10 CRF450 & 2010 CRF250. The Showa's that come on the FI 250 are now the same tube diameter as the 450's Kayaba's so the clamps will fit both models.

They are 1/2 lb lighter than stock!

The Butler Bros. Racing Team tested all offsets before the Glenn Helen Nats and loved the 24's. That's what their team used all summer.

MX-Tech has tested the 24s and use them with a new suspension package they are developing for the CRF450. I think riders are going to like it!

Edited by Rokatt88
Spelling! der!