Sign in to follow this  

'03 KLX 400 - taking it from sea level to 6000+ feet

I'm going to take my new-to-me '03 KLX 400 to my old stomping ground in the Eastern Sierra and will be riding at 5,000 to 6,000 feet. The bike is bone stock as far as I know - snorkle is still in place, stock exhaust, etc.

My question is this: what changes to the jetting/carb settings should I make?

Thanks in advance!

If the temps are the same, richen accordingly.

But ride it there first. See if it's that bad, if it is eddie may have exact jetting for you. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

If the temps are the same, richen accordingly.

But ride it there first. See if it's that bad, if it is eddie may have exact jetting for you. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Thanks, Dan! Seems that we'll probably be keeping under 5,000 feet as the last storm dumped.

I'll have a day before we ride, so if it's bad I'll appeal for Eddie's help. :moon:

you dont go richer for high altitude.

if your bike is indeed bone stock just remove the snorkel and ride it.

Why would you go richer? The air is thinner, which makes it run richer already, no?

I think the idea behind going richer is, Higher altitudes commonly come with much lower temperatures. Temperature in my mind is slightly more effecting of o2 in the air then altitude. Especially under 10,000 feet. Above 10K its really cold. BUT, this is only an opinion. Maybe incorrect, that why I suggested he ride it there in the new altitude before changing jetting. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

yout go richer for high altitude.

if your bike is indeed bone stock just remove the snorkel and ride it.

I seem to recall reading that when removed, the snorkel leaves a hole about 9 sq/in in size. However, why is it that a re-jet is not required after increasing the airflow?

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for saving time and money, so if you say "no jetting required, just ride it", that's what I'm going to do! :moon:

Thanks Eddie!

I have that exact bike, as long as yours is the S model with the CV carb. Mine is stock with the exception of the plug out of the exhaust, the snorkle removed and a Dynojet jet kit installed. I followed there recommendations for the alt and temp I ride in. It ran cleanly, so I left it alone. I too ride on the eastern and western slope of the Sierra Nevadas. I have ridden from sea level to nearly 9000ft and in all temps. It runs great in all situations even though my base jetting was the 2500-4000ft range as per Dynojet. Hope this helps you......RG

I seem to recall reading that when removed, the snorkel leaves a hole about 9 sq/in in size. However, why is it that a re-jet is not required after increasing the airflow?

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for saving time and money, so if you say "no jetting required, just ride it", that's what I'm going to do! :moon:

Thanks Eddie!

you will be riding at high altitude.removing the snorkel with the stock jetting works fine.

if you are riding at sea level with no snorkel you must rejet.

you will be riding at high altitude.removing the snorkel with the stock jetting works fine.

if you are riding at sea level with no snorkel you must rejet.

Thank you, Eddie! I will remove the snorkel for this weekend and then order the JD kit and re-jet for my sea level excursions.

One day I hope to send some business your way to repay you for all of the free knowledge you dispense with on these forums. :moon: