Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Aztec Race Dec 19th

Hey guys, what are these races like? Instead of making the trek all the way to VDR, i was thinking about giving this a try...

In a word: "fun"

The races are very laid-back and low key. There always seems to be 2-3 guys that don't appear to belong in the class (like "beginners" jumping the finish line jump while whipping the bike) but most of the riders put themselves in the correct class.

I don't think I'm gonna make it out tomorrow.

BTW, this is IMHO only. YMMV. All models over 21.

Edited by Merfman
Added my opinion

Starts are on concrete and as exciting as you want to make it. Open beginner always seems to have 1 or 2 go down but it isn't too bad.

30plus and 40 plus are really fast and the guys really know how to race.

The track is usually fantastic! The crew does a great job keeping it in good shape. The track is pretty safe overall. The jumps aren't too big and the overall speed is down but it is WAY more technical than say Watkins or VDR.

I don't know if you race much, if you don't this is a great place to get your feet wet, and if you do it's a great place to practice.

How many classes do they run at a typical race?

Will I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the track or just two meals?

Do you have to be a member for these races or is there just a gate fee, race registration, and transponder rental?

Do they run two motos for each class?

Did I forget any important questions?

These races are held between breakfast and lunch and they really do get them run that quick. Bring food if you plan on riding after the races.

They run 2 motos and I think most of the time they get in 15 minute motos.

You don't have to be a member to race I don't think, there is a transponder rental fee if you don't own one, Aztecs are different than the ones used at the Webe Series or VDR HS races. I believe the fee with transponder rental is $25

They usually run about 5 classes a Saturday but the Aztec site has the classes to be run listed

The track is groomed and usually in amazing shape. Now some people complain about that and want mud and ice but hey that's what we have dirtbikes for. But some show up and overcome the grooming. Haaaa, had to be said.

In all seriousness these races are very well done, run quickly, and it's really great bunch of guys that show to race. Lots of bench racing afterwards. Weather your an experinced MX guy or just starting out this a great place to race.

Sweet, sounds like fun. I cant believe I haven't raced at Aztec before. I live too close to be saying that. That will change soon.

Does anyone know if the track will be open for practice the 26th - 27th?

The weather for the Springs isn't looking great for riding after Christmas, but last time I checked Byron had the 26th listed as a race day! You'll be able to practice, after the races if they happen.