Sign in to follow this  

Who runs same oil in 2 strokes and 4 strokes???

I have a few bikes some being 2 strokes and others 4 strokes. Was worndering if the same crankcase oil could be used in both types of bikes and which kind have you had the best sucess with?

For a two stroke, the key is the wet clutch, while the four stroke has to consider motor oiling unless there is a separate engine oil reservoir. As a result, there's not really one answer that works.

If you are using 4-stroke oil designed to oil the engine as well in your 2-stroke, no problem, as the wet clutch will be just dandy. However, I would not go the other direction, as trany oil designed for your 2-stroke will probably not work well to lube your engine.

I run rotella 15-40w in my xr600 and yz250. No problems with either bike.

Your XR600 is not like a modern 450...Although it is much more reliable :moon:

I use Rotella 15w40 in the trannies of both my CRF450 and RM250.

Kawasaki synthetic 10W-40 in both WR450 and YZ125. Best oil I have tried other than Motul double ester synthetic. The Kawi oil just makes both transmissions work like a dream.

Best oil I have tried other than Motul double ester synthetic.

I use Motul 7100 in my Hayabusa. Great stuff that. Won't use anything else in the Fat Girl.:moon:

But, back on topic.. I've been using Syn-blend Motul (5100) in the gearcase of my KDX for a while now, works great. Also wouldn't hesitate to put it in a 4 stroke.

I run rotella 15-40w in my xr600 and yz250. No problems with either bike.
this is interesting, so you run a diesel oil?

I'm no expert on oil but based on experience with other riders in the xr forums and the fact that rekluse recommends rotella for use with their anti-stall clutches I use it in both bikes.

For a 2 stroke, there are a ton a choices. Any motor oil of the proper viscosity would be fine--just avoid oils with the energy saving additives. Lots of guys use ATF as well. No need to buy expensive stuff.

4 strokes will have specific requirements depending on the design.

i run atf in my 2stroke. works awsome and is fairly cheap. i change it around every 5 or 6 rides.