Sign in to follow this  

how do people stand up while doing a wheelie

Ease of the standing wheelie comes with being able to ride a track at a quick pace completley standing. If you can do that, you'll be more apt to be able to balance.

Stand-up wheelies can require more arm/body movement to maintaim balalnce. But, technically, a stand up wheelie should be more controlable than a sit down wheelie. Same principal as balancing a broomstick on your hand. More weight at the top, the easier it is. It's acctually inertial forces at work.-BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Unless your riding a bike with passenger pegs, IMO, much easier to ride sitting down... When standing in a wheelie and riding on the front pegs, you are using LOTS of arm strength to hold you up. But on a sportbike, or a bike with a rear peg, you can put a leg back to stand straight up..

Standing is WAY easier on a sport bike, but I do the majority of my wheelies on the dirt bike sitting down, much more comfortable, you can just sit and relax and just focus on balance/brake/throttle control

IMO before you attempt any variation of a wheelie, your best best is to do what is most comfortable, until you have brake control locked in your head. If you don't use the brake, it isn't a matter of if you'll go back, it's when!

I think it's much easier to wheelie long distances standing than sitting personally.

My to, however a few times in 5th I didn't get to the brake pedal quick enough. :moon:

For a good stand up wheelie check out the kid on the push bike on the start of On Any Sunday, he's standing pedaling and got no back brake to balance it.

He's the one that jams his foot in the front fork and jumps over the bars.

I find it much easier to hold a wheelie standing up. And you can steer better by moving your weight around easier then sitting. If you don't have enough arm/upper body strength then you need to get in better shape.

When I do a stand up wheelie I push hard into the pegs then roll my foot over the side of the peg. Once the bike is in the upright position the side portion of the peg is almost the new platform. You can get a feel for this by really pushing your feet down into the pegs and kind of grinding on them like putting out a cigarette. For me it feels natural once doing this for my feet to grip and move on top of the pegs. Which is now the side portion.

The real question here is can you control you wheelie using the rear brake? if so then it's just practice to get used to the feel of standing up, however if you cannot then learn that first.

Also there are two different ways of doing a standing wheelie, one is where your chest is almost and the crossbar on the handlebars and the other is a more leaned back wheelie where you need to have the strenth in your abs to move your weight around (if you pull with your arms, you'll want to loop - this is where the rear brake comes in), this type of standing wheelie is a bit harder but not impossible.

To answer the real question "How" - while riding in a standing position push down with both feet at the same time as the bike rebounds crack the throttle and wala you up, or while standing while accelarating *pop* the clutch and lean back a little.

same effect. - good luck.

I find it much easier to hold a wheelie standing up. And you can steer better by moving your weight around easier then sitting. If you don't have enough arm/upper body strength then you need to get in better shape.

It's not just about not being strong enough, it's just how many wheelies you do and how long you hold your wheelies, and how high you pull your wheelies. Anyone should be able to support there weight for a 100 foot wheelie, but what about a few miles? :moon:

I'm personally not a fan of teaching people to lean forward while doing a wheelie, it's kind of like skiing on a lake, you CAN pull your arms to your chest, but when learning generally easier to lean back

I was looking through my pics and I only have ONE stand up picture on a dirt bike.. Even using a cheater peg on my swingarm, and you can tell how strained I am doing it. If I was on both front pegs I'd be in an even worse position :cheers:

staggardcirclehp8.jpg

edit: btw steering a wheelie isn't difficult at all when you're at balance point, once your at balancepoint the bike steers VERY easy to very small inputs from leaning. If your powering through a wheelie, the bike wont want to turn much at all sitting or standing.