Sign in to follow this  

Case saver / sprocket guard.

Do many of you run with the front sprocket guard removed to prevent grass etc. clogging the sprocket?

Has any one had a chain break and damage the genny casing? Does the standard case saver work?

Been looking through an old TBM (UK trail bike mag) and a guy said his DR-Z case saver did not work (Suzuki, I know) and he had fitted a better home made ally one.

Any thoughts?

Mine is missing but not sure what happened to it before I got the bike, easier to clean with it missing and don't plan on breaking the chain so leaving it missing.

don't plan on breaking the chain

lol , does any one ever plan on breaking a chain ? I would find the guard and get it on there asap.

lol , does any one ever plan on breaking a chain ? I would find the guard and get it on there asap.

I meant I don't plan on running a chain in a condition that it will break :moon: some people don't bother about looking after their chain / sprockets as such their's is more likely to break than mine.

previous owner broke a chain and as a result i have no sprocket gaurd and i'm missing a little peice of my crank case :moon:

Do many of you run with the front sprocket guard removed to prevent grass etc. clogging the sprocket?

Has any one had a chain break and damage the genny casing? Does the standard case saver work?

Been looking through an old TBM (UK trail bike mag) and a guy said his DR-Z case saver did not work (Suzuki, I know) and he had fitted a better home made ally one.

Any thoughts?

I ran the stock XR250L metal guard and plastic cover since new and never had a problem. I just made sure to clean out under the cover after riding because it would pack with mud. I think ramz notes in his XR250L write up that you can just cut out the depressions in the cover to let the gunk get out a little better or better yet get an XR250R cover to replace the stock plastic one. The L has the solid cover to keep a riders pants out of the chain and chain lube inside when commuting. Not a concern if you are dirt riding it mostly.

I removed the stock cover, but left the steel case saver that hides behind it on for extra protection.