Sign in to follow this  

250 4t vs. 450 4t, is handling really that much different?

I currently ride a KLX300R and I am going to buy a WR or CRF-X, but I cannot decide on a 250 or 450. I have read that the 250 will out perform in the tight stuff, which is a lot of what I ride. But how much difference is it really? I have ridden both for short periods, but never done a tight trail. I consider myself a novice rider, and I am 5'9", 150 lbs. The power of the 450 appeals to me for the times when I do ride desert or sand and for hill climbs. I also like that the motors of the 450's are not having to work as hard and as a result may have better longevity.

Is a novice rider really going to notice much difference in handling in the tight stuff, especially when the 450 is only ~12lbs heavier?

CAMM

IMO the 250X would be a better fit for you over the 450. I just sold an 07 X and it was an awesome bike - for me it handled way better than my 06 KTM 400exc. Beleive it or not, it will blow away the KLX you're currently riding.

I am looking forward to the additional power of a WR or CRF. The KLX has been great for the tight trails, but is underpowered for most everything else.

CAMM

I ride a KLX450 and it is a ton of bike...and i am 6'5" 210lbs. You will certainly find a 250 a little more nimble and lighter but the bottom-mid of a 450 will be like smoking crack...totally addictive! It can be a bit much in the tight stuff though...and at 150lbs and being a novice you may want to go with the 250. Not to say you won't or can't handle the 450 but you will get more overall enjoyment out of a 250 2t. Just my .02

A 250 and a 450 ride totally different......unless it's a Husaberg...then the line grays a bit. However, between the bikes you're considering, a 250 is so much fun and easy to go fast on compared to a 450 for most conditions. The biggest difference is how much energy you will use riding it. The 250 will have the juice you'll need (except deep sand) and you can ride it all day without getting so wore out that you become a danger to yourself. The 450 power is really fun for the first hour........then you'll be happy just being able to hang on and not eat crap due to fatigue. Good luck with your decision.

Derik

........and yes they handle very different. The motor on most 450's create a gyroscoppic effect that make the bike way more difficult to transition from right to left.

In the woods, this means that you will be fighting to get the bike to do what you want.

The 250 has way less gyroscopic effect and will be way easier to thread trees or change direction on than a 450 (except the Berg). If you get a chance to ride the 450 back to back with the 250 it will become very noticeable......it isn't a subtle difference.

Derik

........and yes they handle very different. The motor on most 450's create a gyroscoppic effect that make the bike way more difficult to transition from right to left.

In the woods, this means that you will be fighting to get the bike to do what you want.

The 250 has way less gyroscopic effect and will be way easier to thread trees or change direction on than a 450 (except the Berg). If you get a chance to ride the 450 back to back with the 250 it will become very noticeable......it isn't a subtle difference.

Derik

This is exactly the information I was looking for in regards to the difference being noticeable. I have rode both (even though briefly), but never back to back. There is no question the power of the 450 is a riot, but it is good to know that after a long, hard ride, I may be wishing I had the 250.

CAMM

There's usually quite a difference in fuel range also.

Do you know approximately how much of a difference?

CAMM

A CRFX 250 is good for 70-80 miles on a tank, and my brothers 450X was good for about 60-70 miles/ tank on mixed singeltrack & highspeed washes. My 250x was so much more fun to ride that my brother would often switch with me halfway through our ride because he was so exhausted fighting the 450 all day. You will have a blast on one of the Hi Perf new 250F's. They make riding difficult terrain easier and more fun. You'll find yourself looking for things to tackle where as on the 450, you'll feel like you've been tackled.

Derik

i just got off 450exc onto 300xcw the 300 is ligther and more nimble than either one of 250f or 450.i,m not knocking either 250f or 450 but i would at least consider 2 stroke in tight stuff just an opion.300 is a tractor for a 2 smoke dont forget yz 250 as well 8)

Hey CAMM the more I think about this the more I lean towards the 250. I think being only 150 pounds and a novice rider the 450 has to much power for you and will wear you out to fast expecially on a long ride (like a desert race). Besides the 250 is already going to have alot more power than your 300 anyway. I think the real question is the wr250f or the crf250x? I would go with the best deal you can find! :moon: Tough decision good luck!!