Sign in to follow this  

R&D Power Bowl

I don't usually endorse anyone's products, but I have had an unfixable "bog" on my CRF250X that drove me to decide to sell this bike I love so much. Every jetting mod and adjustable leak jet I tried did not fix the problem. Finally I decided to call Dean Dickenson at R&D. I explained my problem and he said his Power Bowl which includes an adjustible leak jet and accel. pump will fix it. I was skeptical to say the least. I went ahead, spent my hard earned money and was BLOWN AWAY! This is like a new bike, and the way Honda should have done it in the first place. It now runs like it had F.I., and I can't MAKE it bog no matter what I do. I thought I would share this with anyone whose CRF250X intermittent bogging problem has not responded to jetting and needle changes. It is worth every penny this mod costs.-deno 62

I'm glad the $7.00 fix worked for you, William, but I tried that the first year I had the bike and though it made it better, it didn't FIX it. Maybe I didn't explain how intermittent this was, but on some of my favorite steep, greasy, slimey tree rooted trails here in So. Oregon, just when you were patting yourself on the back at how good you were working the clutch and the how good the engine was pulling on your climb and you suddenly faced a vertical 2' ledge with a huge slimey root across it, the engine would bog when you needed to loft the front wheel. Forward progress over! Go back down and start over. Now the bike snorts and I get to concentrate on my skills, or lack of, and not when the dreaded bog would strike. I had tried every jet from 40 to 55 and it didn't cure it until I put on this R&D Power Bowl. Like I said to me it was worth every penny.-deno 62

The Power Bowl, Quickshot and the like do not do anything magical. The ones with the adjustable leak jet offer some convenience for those that tweak regularly. I have yet to work on a bike that a oring (or stiffer spring like the one from Merge offers), a small leak jet and judicious AP cam timing adjustment will not cure. Its' cool your issue went away with addition of the bowl. Just it is a lot of money to spend on something a little fiddling will resolve.

Think about it, if the FCR had such an inherent design defect, do you think all the motorcycle manufacturers would tolerate it? The reason the bog is there is because the carb is setup for racers who are significantly faster than the average rider. Those of us who are not fast have the bog and we have to adjust the carb for us.

Hey Will, got to see you post. How have you been feeling? are you any better adjusted to the meds? By the way, i had an oven baked sub sammich in your honor last night!

LOL, Yeah, every day, a little better. Meds seem under control, family and friends have been very supportive and keeping me from over doing anything. LOL, my wife did all the shoveling yesterday (close to 18" of total snowfall).

Oven baked sammich..... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :moon:

I hope the holidays are being kind to you you too and the warmth of family and friends is a delight.

William, I understand where your coming from and what you are saying, but be honest, how many riders really know how to fine tune their FCR, let alone fine tune their cam timing? I can't remember the name of the now defunct company whose o-ring, adjustible leak jet and jetting kit (with new needle) I purchased early on, They advertised it as Powerback or something like that) but as I said, on my bike it only fixed part of the problem. As far as the issue as to whether the manufacturers would have tolerated a design defect is a moot point. Even racers have complained about this issue, and it sure as heck didn't just affect Honda or just 250's. The reason I wrote in to TT is this fix was easy and made my engine run like I added 25cc of displacement without a big bore kit. I can't explain that, but it's true. Also for example I can make my buddies Yamaha, or almost any 4-stroke bog even in neutral if I wick my wrist fast enough. You can't twist your wrist fast enough to do that now on my bike. If your cheap fix did the same thing, kudos to you, your knowledge and your mechanical ability. For the average guy though who has struggled with these carbs and this specific problem, and can afford the price of this quality kit, why bad mouth something that works as designed and can save someone who doesn't have your knowledge a lot of time and grief? Nuff said on the subject. Over and out.

William I know where you are coming from. Deno62 I know where you are coming from. The powerbowl did really work for my 08 YZ450F and have put it on my everytime since. I did just order my 4 bowl for my new 09 project, but could of gotten away without it. I know the set up know the jetting and just went ahead with what worked for me. The $7.00 setup would have worked. Now I will tell you that I run a 52 leak jet with the bowl on my Yami. William is there a better set up now that I have the bowl by utilizinga JD jet kit?

William, I understand where your coming from and what you are saying, but be honest, how many riders really know how to fine tune their FCR, let alone fine tune their cam timing? I can't remember the name of the now defunct company whose o-ring, adjustible leak jet and jetting kit (with new needle) I purchased early on, They advertised it as Powerback or something like that) but as I said, on my bike it only fixed part of the problem. As far as the issue as to whether the manufacturers would have tolerated a design defect is a moot point. Even racers have complained about this issue, and it sure as heck didn't just affect Honda or just 250's. The reason I wrote in to TT is this fix was easy and made my engine run like I added 25cc of displacement without a big bore kit. I can't explain that, but it's true. Also for example I can make my buddies Yamaha, or almost any 4-stroke bog even in neutral if I wick my wrist fast enough. You can't twist your wrist fast enough to do that now on my bike. If your cheap fix did the same thing, kudos to you, your knowledge and your mechanical ability. For the average guy though who has struggled with these carbs and this specific problem, and can afford the price of this quality kit, why bad mouth something that works as designed and can save someone who doesn't have your knowledge a lot of time and grief? Nuff said on the subject. Over and out.

I hear you. It is a shame the factories for not offer two jetting setups for the dealer install. Have the bikes come with the jetting settings that 99% of the riders would use, include the jets for the remaining 1% (they must know how to install and adjust the carb)

Bikes from the factory are setup for fast A class riders. They are not setup for 99% of the owners. There is nothing wrong with that, just the bikes are really race bikes. Could you imagine driving a F1 car? Yikes, I'd stall it constantly or crash into the Armco.

The sad part of the PowerBowl, for as many that sing its praises, just as many got no benefit.

To set up a carb (or FI) you have to know what you are doing. A company can make guesses and come pretty close to making it right but you still have to have someone who knows what he is doing make the fine adjustments. The shame is there are not that many that can do this. There is not a single shop within 100 miles of where I live that has a competent mechanic that knows how to properly setup a fuel system

The now defunct company was F2 Racing, they did make some nice parts (I used their AIS removal kit)

William I know where you are coming from. Deno62 I know where you are coming from. The powerbowl did really work for my 08 YZ450F and have put it on my everytime since. I did just order my 4 bowl for my new 09 project, but could of gotten away without it. I know the set up know the jetting and just went ahead with what worked for me. The $7.00 setup would have worked. Now I will tell you that I run a 52 leak jet with the bowl on my Yami. William is there a better set up now that I have the bowl by utilizinga JD jet kit?

For a non recent model bike other than a Honda (they use a revised AP linkage that is a push instead of the pull method) A stiffer AP spring is the way to go. The oring mod works great too but you have to keep an eye on it for deterioration. Wiring the linkage works too but you have to confirm the AP diaphragm does not bottom out and over stress the linkage.

Once you have positive operation of the linkage, you often need to increase the duration of the squirt. This is done by installing a smaller leak jet. But you want to run the largest you can and not have a bog. Many just pop in a #40 and forget it. Some run a #60 and are fine. Others, somewhere in-between. Because of the difficulty of swapping a leak jet (I hate pulling a float bowl on the bike), this is where the advantage of a PowerBowl or (my preference) the Merge Adjustable Leak jet can be found. A simple turning of an external screw is all you have to do to vary the size of the leak jet. Then you simply increase the size till the bog just returns and then turn it back a smidge. However, it is a fair amount of money for the convenience. Chances are, once you find a setting that is best for you, you will probably never adjust it again. So it is a fair amount of money to spend on making your life a little easier.

When doing the AP setup with the tiny leak jet (or ALJ set to be like a #40) you will want to test the AP timing by riding the bike (not just reving on the stand). Riding like you normally do, feel for the bog. If it is there, you will want to tweak the AP timing screw, usually turning it clockwise to make the squirt occur sooner. Turn it 1/4 turn, then ride. I leave the throttle wheel cover off during these tests. This adjustment takes no more than 10 minutes to do, mostly the riding part.

Once everything is adjusted, you can experiment with larger leak jet sizes. Keep increasing until the bog just returns, then go back down one size or a tweak of the screw.

Wes, I doubt there is anything really better than you have now unless you still run the oring, then consider the stiffer spring or wiring th linkage).

I purchased a plated 04 525exc (non leak FCR.) It came with boysen quick shot AP cover and JD needle already installed. It also came with a significant lack of throttle response (bog).

I tried the o-ring method as a fix, however I still couldnt get rid of the bog (squirt duration was still 2.5 seconds. I partly blame the boysen) I contemplated buying a modified stock bowl (w/ leak jet) however I decided that going back and forth between street and dirt riding I should be adjusting the duration more often than I wanted to be pulling the bowl off. I ended up with the RD power pump (appears to be the same/similar as the Merge)

It cured the throttle response issue, though if not for the dual usage of the bike a modified bowl would have been sufficient IMO.

The powerbowl set up that I just got in the mail tonight is a revised design. Pretty cool. Thet did eliminate two issues I had with the set up. #1 the incorporated the leak jet screw into the pump instead of the bowl, which eliminates the needle getting damaged. #2 the turned the leak circuit screw around so you can adjust it from the left side of the bike with no interference from the hot pipe. There are also a couple of designs I like in all like the baffle supports incorporated into the bowl. I could go on but what I was saying is I have been running a 52 pilot and 2.5 screws on the fuel screw and about the same on the leak jet. This bowl kit does come with a stiffer spring like you said. All in all I will always use a R&D Powerbowl as a standard item on every 06-09 Yz450F bike. I love them. Just wanted you to know about the design change. William1 I hope your feeling better and hope you a have a great Christmas.

Having the adjustment screw on the left is a good change, one of the reasons I suggest the Merge ALJ for those that want or need an ALJ.

Thanks for the X-mas wishes Wes, I appreciate it and the same right back at you! :moon:

William, Wes, Eddie, and everyone else on this Intake-Jetting/Fuel Injection forum, I want to wish you guys a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I most probably will not be writing very often unless I need some advice from you guys, so may your 2010 trail rides be blessed with instant fuel delivery (no bogging), super traction, and most importantly, stay safe!

William, Wes, Eddie, and everyone else on this Intake-Jetting/Fuel Injection forum, I want to wish you guys a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I most probably will not be writing very often unless I need some advice from you guys, so may your 2010 trail rides be blessed with instant fuel delivery (no bogging), super traction, and most importantly, stay safe!

Thanks Dude! Enjoy the no bog, crisp running R&D Powerbowl