Sign in to follow this  

need recomindation on where to send rear shock for rebuild

the old 82 rm 250. my reservoir canister exploded this summer. so i'm going to send it off. None of the local shops around me mess with shocks. Can anyone recommend somewhere to send it, where i won't run into hassles from it being old school? it is a mono shock with the reservoir can on a long hose (not attatched). My shaft is good and it doesn't leak, but i have a different reservoir and want it all rebuilt.[

I have a local guy that knows these shocks and rebuilt mine. I think it ran about $150 for the works, which included a new seal head and bottom out bumper. The rear suspension works as good as my 2008 CRF450.

send it to me I have shop an dmy son does it all the time.Probably about $100

That sounds too cheap. The parts and oil alone will be $75-80 and the piston has to be removed from the shock shaft to replace the seal head so it's not your basic oil service.

I just sent my 1979 Yamaha Monoshock to Steve Sage at Sage Suspension. His # is 1-303-425-6712. He is pretty good about returning calls and answering emails. I do not have my shock back yet, so we will really see and I can post the results at that time; I do have a good feeling though.

How about Race Tech? They're the only major shop I'm aware of that deals in Vintage and Post Vintage suspension. Race Tech's 1983 RM250

Matt at the corporate HQ in socal is their vintage suspension guru. The guy that does mine is also one of RT's top franchises and he does a lot of work for the TVRC, texas vintage racing club. Piper Performance in North Richland Hills, Tx.

send it to me I have shop an dmy son does it all the time.Probably about $100

I know exactly what you want. If you need a seal head it will be more.