Joe McGee compression release that works on the XR200R

I bought this little 91 jewel a few days ago but it didn't have the compression release cable. The guy I bought it from said he started it fine without it, but I have been doing some reading here and find that the starter gears are weak and need the comp release to prolong their life. So I put my Joe McGee cap on and came up with a solution that works quite well. I have a 2000 YZ426F that had a handlebar mounted manual compression release. I put an exhaust cam with auto decomp from a yz450f in the 426 so no longer needed the manual one. Presto bingo, the manual 426 release cable works perfectly on the XR200! The end of the cable even fits perfectly into the cable stop on the XR!

The starting procedure for the XR is now exactly what it used to be for the 426. Push the kick-starter down until you hit the compression stroke. Let the kick starter back up to the top of its stroke. While pulling the comp release lever, push the kick starter down about an inch or so so that you are just past top dead center on the compression stroke. Let go of the comp release and give it a kick. It works smooth as butter with no strain on the starter pawl.

Sure glad I didn't throw that comp release away when I changed it out!

• Like 2

I bought this little 91 jewel a few days ago but it didn't have the compression release cable. The guy I bought it from said he started it fine without it, but I have been doing some reading here and find that the starter gears are weak and need the comp release to prolong their life. So I put my Joe McGee cap on and came up with a solution that works quite well. I have a 2000 YZ426F that had a handlebar mounted manual compression release. I put an exhaust cam with auto decomp from a yz450f in the 426 so no longer needed the manual one. Presto bingo, the manual 426 release cable works perfectly on the XR200! The end of the cable even fits perfectly into the cable stop on the XR!

The starting procedure for the XR is now exactly what it used to be for the 426. Push the kick-starter down until you hit the compression stroke. Let the kick starter back up to the top of its stroke. While pulling the comp release lever, push the kick starter down about an inch or so so that you are just past top dead center on the compression stroke. Let go of the comp release and give it a kick. It works smooth as butter with no strain on the starter pawl.

Sure glad I didn't throw that comp release away when I changed it out!

This is great. I don't like the kick activated release anyway. Can you post photos of how you set it up?

Nice job, Divebomber! I was wondering how many people did this.

Must be popular in Hybrids. I'm trying to wedge an XL185 into a CR125 frame right now, and looking at the relationship between the compression release mech and the swingarm. Space is tight!

-Tom

This is great. I don't like the kick activated release anyway. Can you post photos of how you set it up?

But first, the bike.

'91 XR200R

XR200RLeft.jpg

XR200Rright.jpg

Compression release cable from 2000 YZ426F

comprelease1.jpg

Compression release perch and lever from 2000 YZ426F

compreleaseperch.jpg

Edited by divebobber
add info