Sign in to follow this  

Should I leave it alone?

Hey guys, got an 06 250 with a P/C pipe and P/C s/a. Bike runs great but is a little rich. Drips a little goop and leaves specks on the rear fender. Jetting is 175 main, 48 pilot and stock needle 2nd groove from top. The question- should I drop the needle all the way? Thought I heard that if you have to drop the needle all the way its time for a different needle. True? Any here running fhe first groove? By the way, B harescramble rider, running Yamalube R 32-1 with 50-50 VP110 and 93. Thanks for any ideas!!

I would switch needles before running one at the extreme ends (other thna for testing)....The reason being is that each step in a needle is pretty big change percentage wise. Its easy to blow right past the correct position.

Still, I would test it before running out to buy something, or having to order one. If it turns out to be the correct spot, buy a needle 1 step leaner than where you are at now.

Sounds like the spooge is almost an endless battle for most. Some have had luck with different brands of oil and some have had success with jetting. I figure I'll live with it....sealed the pipe/silencer joint so I don't have spooge dripping on my swingarm....good enough.

What does the plug look like? On my rm it never spooged with the FMF pipe but when I ran the stock pipe it had a rich spot just after 1/8 throttle. Other than that it ran fine and never fouled plugs, so I left it alone.

But that little rich spot was enough to cause some spooge. If it doesn't foul plugs I would leave it alone.

Im running the same jetting as you but I have my clip in the top position...Im at sea level and the bike runs good but I need the next leaner needle which I believe is a N3EW so I have some room for adjustment up or down...

I have not seen a yz 250 running an s/a without any spooge on a long ride. I think a little bit with that set up is OK. That said, a small change would be a JD red needle @ #2 and a 42 pilot. I assume your harescramble courses have a lot of low speed sections?

Thanks to all for your replies! Im in Florida and most of the courses are pretty wide open. I make my best time by riding a gear high with a finger on the clutch. Much more a lugger than a revver. Anyone using the N3CJ? Like I said, the bike runs great so I dont need huge changes, but I feel it maybe could be a little better!

Well running 50/50 110 and 32:1 your races better be really wide open because the race gas will make it run quite a bit richer, I would kind of expect it without running that thing wide!! I think maybe one up on the main and raise the needle up to the second from the top, that will usually work for me.. Good luck