Destroyed shoulder..., need to sell, but how?

Well I recently had extensive shoulder surgery to remove a large bone spur that shredded my rotator cuff during a long enduro. I wrote about the Jackhammer back in October not knowing the damage that had been done. I thought it would get better on it's own, but after the regular process of denial, acceptance and action, I am now facing a lengthy rehab.:moon:

Enough of that.

I have decided to sell my (new in June 2009) 2006 YZ that I have written about many times in this forum (many of you will recognize the bike). I went through an extensive program of turning it into the ultimate off-road/enduro unit with so many mods that I wont waste the space to list them all here. The major ones include: Rekluse Pro and E-axle, Smart Performance, complete mods, front and rear, RB head mod, ZipTy 3.2 tank, Guts tall seat and cover, 18" rear wheel assy, WR 3rd,4th 5th gearset, ICO Enduro computer, Tubliss for all (3) wheels and much, much, much more including a long list of brand new spares and tires.

My question is how should I try to sell it. I can remove many of the extras and try to sell them separately. The bike has less than ten hours since new and is absolutley perfect. I could probably get a fair amount for it in stock configuration. I have put so much into it that I am worried that I couldn't get a fair price for it, as it sits now. Anyone can search my posts to see the various mods and pictures that I have posted (here are a few).

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8374826&highlight=#post8374826

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8776719&highlight=#post8776719

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8782566&highlight=#post8782566

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8822254&highlight=#post8822254

Your comments on what would be the best way to go (and how to price it?) would be appreciated. Piecemeal? as is, complete package?

I think you have to strip it and get it back to stock condition. I'm afraid you'll end up giving the accessories away if you dont....really, who's going to pay 6 grand for a 2006...which yours is probably worth.

This thread cannot turn into a ..."sell me this, or sell me that" type thread or it has to be deleted.

After thinking more....keep it. Unless your dying for the money. The bike is set up just like you want. From here on its free riding.

The rehab will go faster than you think it will..especially if the bike in the garage is waiting for you.

Its an 06, like mine. We've already taken the depreciation hit two years ago. Why let someone else get the use from it???

That's why God gave you TWO shoulders ?. If Doug Henry can ride being paralyzed from the waste down, you can ride on a rehabbed shoulder. I'm telling you that the second you finish your rehab and the shoulder feels fine, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass because you sold your baby :moon:

If you're dead set on selling it, you have to take it back to stock form and sell the aftermarket parts separately. Like RCannon said, if you don't it will be like giving them away for free ?.

Like you, I'm a woods guy and all my bikes have tons of aftermarket armor on them. When I sold my 2003 valve eatin' POS CRF450 :cheers:, I got nearly $750 for just the aftermarket stuff I took off (i.e. shark fin, skid plate, Thunder Alley pipe, radiator braces, over-sized tank, frame guards, carbon fiber header guard, bark busters, under-bar stabilizer mount, etc., etc.,)

I had a similar situation a while back... selling a modded bike, not the shoulder thing. The concensus, same as this thread, was to return it to stock and sell the mods. But selling all the mods on Ebay can be alot of work! If it's a toss up whether you keep the bike or not, you could list it at current value with mods and if nobody bites, oh well. If you need maximum $ return on the bike start putting the stock parts back on.:moon:

Having had a shoulder problem since this past April, I can only imagine what you are going through. Were they able to repair any of the cuff? What a lot of people don't realize is the cuff is a series of muscle and tendon that support the shoulder and also effects the bicep muscle - very painful. I would tend to mirror the replies to give it some time before selling - as said for what you have in it and what you will get you take a bath. I don't think Yamaha is going to change our 2-strokes to any large degree and even if you take a year to get back to it, the bike is still better than new.

Good luck in you rehab - just make sure you stick with it!!!

Man!! Ive been there @ the end of 12-31-05 broke my humrous in half, broke the ball of my shoulder in 7 pices and dislocated! After 2 surgerys and alot of hardware im back to riding and at the time i had a new Rmz450! I had to sell it cause I need the money and was told never to ride again! So I sold it and lost my butt! so if you don't have to sale it I wouldn't! Keep it as a reminder of something you love and never wanna quit! Also it will make you do your rehab even that much more and harder! (DO THE REHAB NO MATTER WHAT)! Im back to riding and wish i hadn't had to sell that 450!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

keep the bike for when youre done rehabing. i had surgery in october for a fractured left shoulder and i also ripped the bicep off the bone. ive only been out for two months but i can already lift and have 90% range on motion. my therapist said i can get back on the bike in april. why sell what youve already got just to get back on in less than a year and start the whole buying/modifying process all over again?

Will you want the bike after rehab? A YZ250 has a lot of yank and is probably not the most shoulder friendly mount. I ride a 125 now and find that everything is a lot less sore at the end of the day. Dwight (off road forum mod) is on a XR200 due to health issues. Less bike might make it easier to get back into riding faster.

I'm currently recovering from two broken feet and I know having a bike in the garage gives me a long term goal and motivation to get to the gym.

Just something to think about.

Will you want the bike after rehab? A YZ250 has a lot of yank and is probably not the most shoulder friendly mount. I ride a 125 now and find that everything is a lot less sore at the end of the day. Dwight (off road forum mod) is on a XR200 due to health issues. Less bike might make it easier to get back into riding faster.

I'm currently recovering from two broken feet and I know having a bike in the garage gives me a long term goal and motivation to get to the gym.

What did you do to deserve two broken feet? Bad loan with a guy named Tony? :moon:

Two broken feet??? I know its off topic, but how did you manage that??? I guess you spent the first week crawling to take care of those "personal" needs???

It woudl be cool to price out the accessories from the yz 250 to get a rough idea of how much you can get that way.