Sign in to follow this  

Great site and have a quick Q?

First I want to say what a great site this is. I've learned so much from it already.

I'm in the market for an sm model drz and have a question. I have searched but couldn't find anything specific so.

I have been looking at a new 09 white for 6,000 out the door. I recently found a used 05 with only 15 miles for about 4,000 plus tax etc.

I have a couple concerns about the used one but would much prefer to save 2 grand(or hopefully more) for mods! I think 05 was the first year for the sm and wanted to know if there are any known issues from the first year run or anything that it doesn't have that the newer models do(besides sliders). The second thing is the lack of miles on it for being almost 4 years old now. I'm sure i'll need to clean the carb out from sitting and check hoses and all that.(good reason to talk him down) Then again I'll have to look closely to make sure they didn't just slap on a new dash and claim that it only has 15 miles but that should be easy to tell if it's in as good of shape as they claim.

Thanks for your help and sorry so long winded.

15 miles, like fifteen? Crazy. The little nub thingies must still be on the tires!

If the bike was stored properly - carb drained, stabil poured into the gas tank, then it should be fine. If it's NOT been stored properly, you will have to dump the gas in the tank, clean the carb, and change the oil.

The easiest thing to do is to buy and install a jet kit -- you'll get new jets which will be clean.

The only question is that I haven't gone to see it yet but it sounds like it should be in good shape.

I was assuming that it would need a carb cleaning and oil change etc..

I just want to make sure that the 05 model isn't missing something major over the 09. I found the parts fiche and it shows just front and rear sliders and no fatbars. NADA on an 05 is 2500-3500 so if I can get it for 3500 I'll be happy.

i think that 05 came with a 4.25in rear rim, i could be wrong but i know from 07- came with a 4.5in rear. i could be wrong. early SM's came with different bars. but other then that all the same.