oil, i think i need to switch

i have been using bel ray thumper oil, semi synthetic, in my 97 XR250R. it seems like one of the best oils on the market but it cost me $10 a litre and i can only buy it in 1 litre bottles, so 2 litres of oil and a filter comes to $30. i'm pretty broke most the time so i'm relectant to change the oil to often at that price. is there a good oil people like that i can get in a 4 litre jug?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going from synth to mineral is no problem, but the other way round can be a problem due to breaking off chunks of carbon that have amounted over time due to the poor quality of most mineral oils.

try finding a store that sells cheap fully synth. i was shocked to find this in the uk

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_221631_langId_-1_categoryId_165507

5litres of fully synth for less than £30!! mental!

you dont always have to go for "EXTREME DIRT BIKE AWESOME OIL". any decent brand 4 stroke semi synth bike oil will be fine. castrol, silkolene etc etc. although remember, the cheaper the oil you use, the more you want to change it

also, a guy at the dealership told me it was bad to switch to mineral oil if you've been using synthetic....

You can change and switch and even mix the stuff.

The people that tell you not to do it are the people selling you the more expensive synth.

If your engine has a ass load of miles on it and you go from mineral oil to synthetic you should change it and your filter after a couple hundred miles then just stick to your normal routine.

Ten Myths About Synthetic Lubrication

https://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/articlemyths.aspx?zo=0

Some people I know use synth in the colder winter weather then go back to the cheaper mineral during the hotter summer months.

This oil question turns up regular on alot of sites. what people forget is when the xr was built it was designed to run on mineral oil not fully synthetic and the bike was reliable then, so why do people think it shouldnt run on mineral oil now i dont know, because the engine hasnt changed. I run mine on car oil the stuff without friction modifiers £37 for 5 gallons and have done for over 10000 miles with no problems and i change the oil and filter every 1000 miles

I'm not telling anyone to put cheap oil in their bikes thats up to the individual if your happy paying through the nose for your oil carry on but i'll stick to the cheap stuff :moon:

Edited by sir fallsalot

This oil question turns up regular on alot of sites. what people forget is when the xr was built it was designed to run on mineral oil not fully synthetic and the bike was reliable then, so why do people think it shouldnt run on mineral oil now i dont know, because the engine hasnt changed. I run mine on car oil the stuff without friction modifiers £37 for 5 gallons and have done for over 10000 miles with no problems and i change the oil and filter every 1000 miles

I'm not telling anyone to put cheap oil in their bikes thats up to the individual if your happy paying through the nose for your oil carry on but i'll stick to the cheap stuff :moon:

I agree completely with sir fallsalot :cheers:

If mineral oil (Dino stuff) was so bad for your engine, why would the manufacturer recommend it. Doesn't this make folks wonder how us old guys kept our motors running before the expensive stuff came around.

I have noticed that most of the people recommending synth need to rebuild their motors at least once a year and this is after they tell me how much longer it makes their engine last. ?

Buying cheaper priced oils for your bike is the only way to go if you change your oil regulary!!!!I have used syn and regular oils and have found no difference other than the prices,i buy my oil off the shelf and (about 1 dollar a qt)and change it about every two rides and i ride moto, washs,desert,rocks and pretty much ride hard!!!I do use syns in my jeep and car thou.

Buying cheaper priced oils for your bike is the only way to go if you change your oil regulary!!!!I have used syn and regular oils and have found no difference other than the prices,i buy my oil off the shelf and (about 1 dollar a qt)and change it about every two rides and i ride moto, washs,desert,rocks and pretty much ride hard!!!I do use syns in my jeep and car thou.
Thats right hadameo i put in my vehicles what oil the manufactures hand book says to put in and the xr handbook doesnt say to use fully synthetic oil:ride:

Had a 93 XL 250 and sold it with 35000 km on it. Pulled good and used no oil between changes.(approx. 2000 km between changes).

Currently have a 2001 DRZ 400 with 20000 KM on it. Same oil change intervals. Check valves every year and yet to need adjustment.

Two high hour ATVs with annual oil changes. No issues!

Have used only Rotilla T 15w40 in these machines and several others. Highly recommended on many sites. See no reason to switch oils. Can be bought at Wallmart and Crappy Tire in 1 Litre, 5 Litre and 20 litre jugs for about $3.50 a litre.

When I had my old XR250 I ran Castrol GTX in it with no problems. When I got my XR400 I believe I was originally running Castrol Activo or something like that and switched to Amsoil.

After the first oil change I was sold on the stuff. I had fired up the bike and had to turn the idle down because it was idling much faster with the fresh Amsoil.

I was told once by my local honda dealer that with XR's once the oil starts turning to a darker brown, you want to change the oil. Well with running Amsoil I don't notice the oil getting as dark as the other oils I have used in the past with the same amount of ride time. I know that you are on a budget, but any oil will work.

check this out this article talks about how motorcyle oil isnt what its all what its cracked up to be verses car oil www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

That was a good read,last time i was going to buy syn they tryed to charge me 48 dollars for a gallon of oil!Laughed in his face and went to wally world and bought cheaper priced oil,it does not cost that much to change my oils in my car and jeep using syn i told the oil expert at the cashier!