Sign in to follow this  

1998 Cr250r fork seals.

How hard is it to replace front fork seals on a 1998 Cr250r? Also are thier any special tools required? (Note:Thier is a little leak on the right front shock) Also before I for get how much am I looking into to fix this problem?

is it a leak...or more of a weeping seal... Because that could just be some dirt up in there. There are easy fixes for that. There are quite a few threads on how to take care of this, just do a search, should find some no prob. There are also a lot of vids on youtube that walk you through changing fork seals and your manual should also get you through it as well.

Great vids. You should be able to save some money on tools by getting the Tusk ones from Rocky Mtn. Also, spend $10.00 on a Blitz drip pan. Sits on your workbench and makes it much easier to do the job without making a huge mess.

9016759_bli_11430_pri_larg.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEqm4iMQf3l4tDCEsXlIuQ4E2lI8w

if its just leaking a small amout you could just try cleaning first.you may just have some dirt inbetween the fork tube and seal.take the dust cover off.then get yourself a buisness card(dont use anything metal you will damage the seal) and slide it up in between the fork leg and seal.slide it all the way around.you will have some fluid come out and probably some dirt.sometimes this works.

its not really something you can afford to mess up on. everyone has a friend of a friend that knows what they are doing and already has the tools. pick up the msr kit and throw the guy 75 bucks for his troubles.

I just replaced my seals. Only tool I needed was the fork seal driver, which I picked up awhile ago off ebay for $15. I believe it is like $50 from RMC. Check that motosport vid. Its not that hard at all to do.

to tell u the truth i just did mine two weeks ago and if money is a problem you do not need to buy any of th special tools. it would make it alot easier but its not necessary. i used pvc to drive the seals, coat hanger for a dampening rod holder, and the top of a spray bottle to set the fork oil level. dont feel the need to spend all that money on tools your going to use once a year IF THAT.

To hold the rod at the end I just used a wrench. I never tried the PVC being I got a deal on a tool, but what is good with the tool is it has a good weight to it.

if i had the money for the driver i deffinately would have bought it. your right it has the weight that u need. pvc is a pain in the a** believ me, but it is usable and cheap, just doesnt have any weight like you said

to tell u the truth i just did mine two weeks ago and if money is a problem you do not need to buy any of th special tools. it would make it alot easier but its not necessary. i used pvc to drive the seals, coat hanger for a dampening rod holder, and the top of a spray bottle to set the fork oil level. dont feel the need to spend all that money on tools your going to use once a year IF THAT.

97kx125 has hit the nail on the head, there is no reason to spend an excessive amount of money on special tools if you can buy some pvc to drive seals. You want to make sure that you tape the ends of the fork legs with electrical tape when you slide the seals and dust wipers down the leg to prevent the seals from ripping the lips. There is even a special "bullet" that you can buy that will eliminate the taping routine (I have used the electrical tape trick for the longest time, but motosport had one of the "deals of the day" for these, made by motion pro for under five bucks.......I have yet to use them and it is sitting on my "pile of things to install over the winter", even though I have to throw seals my my forks....).