Sign in to follow this  

Im back and looking for a 250F!

Okay, so I have been off the bike for like 7 months maybe. I went into a phase where i hung out with friends and we played xbox live all the freakin time. Im over it because i found a new kid to ride with yay!

So, right now i have an 04 ktm 125sx. Put a new CDI box on her and was off riding! as much as i love my good ol' two stroke, i grew up on 4 strokes and i want to know what they are like (the 250F's). i have a part time job now so i should be able to afford it if its not super maintnence money costs.

I ride woods, have a small track in my backyard, but basically just play around with friends most of the time. It wont be ridden a lot or very hard. Probably like a weekend warrior type of thing.

So my question to you guys is, What bike will be good for me and what are some costs that it constantly involves?

Thanks and sorry for boring you with the life story... =P

What is your height and weight, that would help with people giving you some insight. And btw what part of pennsylvania are you from i just moved about 10 minutes from the poconos?

I just finished reading the TWMX 250 shootout for this year so if you are looking at 2010's they voted the kawi the best. it's good as long as you don't mind the appearance getting worn down quickly. They said the new Honda is their second favorite, the only thing it lacks is stiff suspension and low end power, but it's biggest plus is that it's the only 250 other than the suzuki with EFI. They didn't test the Suzuki yet because they aren't available yet, but the KTM and Yamaha dont even compare with the others. that's just according to TWMX though.

Oh yeah sorry about that. I am 16 years old, 6 foot 1 inch. and weigh about 145 pounds. And i dont think i will be buying the 2010 : ( too expensive for me. i hope that helps. and i also have no idea about 4 stroke maintnence and costs so that would be much appreciated as well.

Find an 07 or 08 KTM 250 XCF-W.....easy to work on, reliable and insanely fun to ride. It

will be softly suspended for really big jumps, but great usable power and super plush for trail and play track. It revs to the moon and has the most exciting and racey character of all the offroad 250F's IMO.

Have fun getting dirty again.

Derik

Find an 07 or 08 KTM 250 XCF-W.....easy to work on, reliable and insanely fun to ride. It

will be softly suspended for really big jumps, but great usable power and super plush for trail and play track. It revs to the moon and has the most exciting and racey character of all the offroad 250F's IMO.

Have fun getting dirty again.

Derik

WOW, that sounds exactly like the bike i want. i heard that they have adjustable valves or something? is that correct? oh my name is Derek too btw :moon: Also is there a big difference between the 07 SXF and the 07 XCF-W? because if i can find the sxf but not the xcf-w should i get the sxf or wait for the xcf-w?

The SXF is a track bike with a close ratio tranny...taller first gear and closer ratios through the gearbox, it has a stiffer suspension for landing large jumps and is made to work well on the track. The XCF-W has a semi-wide ratio gearbox that is tailored to offroad needs.....a shorter first gear that will make easy work of tough trail obstacles and hills, and a taller sixth gear that gives the XCF-W a much higher top speed. The suspension is tuned for dealing with trail trash like rocks, roots and boulders. The XCF-W has an electric starter which is just great.......You'll have to kick an SXF....... The SXF

has a power hit just past 1/4 throttle that is great on a track, but a compromise in traction limited offroad scenarios. The XCF-W has a little more flywheel effect which aids

traction and makes the power more usable for offroad. If I was given either one I'd be a happy guy....if I were buying the bike for my needs, I would find a XCF-W.

Good Luck Derek!!

Derik

haha nice OP i went through that faze 2 and it lasted years tho, couple months ago i said screw these im done with games and i started naggin my bro 2 take me ridin and he was all surprised so ya now i got friends who ride and everythin, and as for i bike i like the kx250fs becuz i have 1 and i havent had many problems with mine and i have the 04 wich is like the super problematic ones but ive had good luck with them so i would suggest a KX

WOW, that sounds exactly like the bike i want. i heard that they have adjustable valves or something? is that correct? oh my name is Derek too btw :moon: Also is there a big difference between the 07 SXF and the 07 XCF-W? because if i can find the sxf but not the xcf-w should i get the sxf or wait for the xcf-w?

they're completly differant bikes, the SX-f is the better of the two with a much better frame geometry and better suspension hardware, but to be honest, i don't think KTM 250-f's are the way to go for a reliable bike, they rev to the moon and lack bottom end, which is a recipe for engine wear, my experiance with an 07 250 EXC-f (same as the XC-w in the states) is that the piston and rings wear very quickly with the OEM items, aparently JE and wiseco pistons last a lot better in them.

for a reliable 250F, look at a yamaha, proven reliabilty record.

one thing to keep in mind, good maintainence doesn't just mean cleaning the air filter and changing the oiil, it means repalcing worn items as well, i hear stories all the time of people who say "250f's suck, i changed the oil and cleaned the air filter every ride and it grenaded at 100 hours" well that's all good and well but did you change the piston and put new valves in it when it needed them?

they're completly differant bikes, the SX-f is the better of the two with a much better frame geometry and better suspension hardware, but to be honest, i don't think KTM 250-f's are the way to go for a reliable bike, they rev to the moon and lack bottom end, which is a recipe for engine wear, my experiance with an 07 250 EXC-f (same as the XC-w in the states) is that the piston and rings wear very quickly with the OEM items, aparently JE and wiseco pistons last a lot better in them.

for a reliable 250F, look at a yamaha, proven reliabilty record.

one thing to keep in mind, good maintainence doesn't just mean cleaning the air filter and changing the oiil, it means repalcing worn items as well, i hear stories all the time of people who say "250f's suck, i changed the oil and cleaned the air filter every ride and it grenaded at 100 hours" well that's all good and well but did you change the piston and put new valves in it when it needed them?

I would be fine with the maintnence if I knew how to do it. I would do it when it needed to be done, but how much do valves cost? and how much do pistons on 4 strokes cost?

I ride with guys who now ride 250Fs exclusively and none have had a failure in hundreds of hours. Change the piston rings @ 60hrs. and adjust valve clearances when needed and feed it clean air and fluids and your good. I call BS on the SXF as a better offroad bike. The forks deflect more off rocks, 1 & 2nd gear will have you clutch slipping up the nasties and the shock tuning will beat you through trail chop. I had fun on the SXF I rode and I liked the revvy nature but it was weaker off the bottom than the W and the constant rowing of the gearbox was tiresome for trail work. The KTM is a solid machine

and handles way better than a Yammy. I think if he wants to MX than he should buy a MX bike, if he wants to trail ride than he should buy an offroad bike.

Derik

I ride with guys who now ride 250Fs exclusively and none have had a failure in hundreds of hours. Change the piston rings @ 60hrs. and adjust valve clearances when needed and feed it clean air and fluids and your good. I call BS on the SXF as a better offroad bike. The forks deflect more off rocks, 1 & 2nd gear will have you clutch slipping up the nasties and the shock tuning will beat you through trail chop. I had fun on the SXF I rode and I liked the revvy nature but it was weaker off the bottom than the W and the constant rowing of the gearbox was tiresome for trail work. The KTM is a solid machine

and handles way better than a Yammy. I think if he wants to MX than he should buy a MX bike, if he wants to trail ride than he should buy an offroad bike.

Derik

Well, with my experience with KTM's, the parts are really expensive. Im not knocking the XCF-W but I just want to know more about each bike. Right now my options are the YZ250F and the 250XCF-W. I dont know anything about valves so derbo do you think you can explain them a little bit to me?

I would be fine with the maintnence if I knew how to do it. I would do it when it needed to be done, but how much do valves cost? and how much do pistons on 4 strokes cost?

i wouldn't be able to say in the U.S since i don't live there, but from what i've read on here, valvess cost around $70 per valve, plus about another 100 to get the valve seats cut and the valves fitten to the head, pistons shouldn't be any more then yor 125 if you go after market (which last longer then stock), however ktm's and yamaha's generally don't have valve trouble

The Yamaha's are almost bulletproof. Same with the KTM. Honda's can be sketchy depending on the care they receive. I'd find a really well maintained offroad 250F

either a WR250F or a XCF-W, I rode Yamaha's for years and know that they're a good product. The XCF-W is just a step above in quality throughout. My KTM handles better than any other 250F I've ever ridden.....it's been revalved for me though. Valves on modern 4stks need to be checked periodically and adjusted when valves move. It is not a big deal and part of the sport. Find a clean, well maintained bike and have fun.

Derik

ive got a 2004 kx250f with a brand new 2008 kx250f engine. the motor is super reliable and has power all over. plus the 2004 frame is steel which allows for more flex and is more narrow than the aluminum frames. its like the perfect package for trails or mx. ive ridden it on both and it does outstanding on both. its got 20 hours on the engine and has a pro circuit Ti-4 full system and a pro circuit water pump. sadly, im probably going to HAVE to sell it. $2200 for the perfect bike :*(