Sign in to follow this  

How can you tell???

Hey guys, I bought a 04 150 last week and I'm trying to see if a power up "kit" was applied. Two things about the bike make me think it has. First, the Spark Arrester has been taken out so there is nothing at the end of the muffler. And 2nd, the bike is REALLY easy to start, on a cold day, it only has to be at half choke. Is there any other easy way I could tell if it has been done? Thanks in advance....

PS IF it has been done, would it hurt anything to put a spark arrester back on?

Hey guys, I bought a 04 150 last week and I'm trying to see if a power up "kit" was applied. Two things about the bike make me think it has. First, the Spark Arrester has been taken out so there is nothing at the end of the muffler. And 2nd, the bike is REALLY easy to start, on a cold day, it only has to be at half choke. Is there any other easy way I could tell if it has been done? Thanks in advance....

PS IF it has been done, would it hurt anything to put a spark arrester back on?

look under the seat and see if the snorkel on the top of the airbox has been removed. That is a usual sign besides the sparky. The only other way to tell is to see what jets are in the carb. It wont hurt anything to run the sparky but you may loose a bit of power (or feel like you lost power because it will be quiet).

Thanks man, I'll check under the seat tomorrow. I don't care at this point about losing any power, this is the 1st dirt bike I've ever owned and a little less power might not hurt! LOL And I'm not quite sure what you mean about a snorkel? Any way to describe what it would look like? Sorry to be a pain but I also forgot to mention I know nothing about working/repairing anything. Thanks again...

think snorkel for snorkeling, it is a little or some times kind of big tube flat peice that comes out of the top of the airbox, to help keep water from entering the airbox. if there is just a whole in the top of the airbox and nothing to keep water from coming into it if you went into water that was seat height high, then the snorkel has been removed. most people would never go into water like that and wouldn't ever need a snorkel so there is just no need for it and removing improves breathing so you can get more power from your bike by increasing air flow and increasing fuel by changing the jets and making carb adjustments. If there is no snorkel and the bike is running very well "look at the spark plug and see if it's tan colored on the white ceramic peice inside the spark plug". then don't mess with the exhaust or intake.

Here' what you need to do. Take the bottom of you carb off. It's a 14mm or a 17mm bolt. You'll see you main jet. It has a number on it. If it's a 98 or whatever stock was, than your stock.

Next, get a Mesa Boogie Rectifer 100watt head with a 4x12 cab. That and that crf150, you'll be the coolest kid on the street! :moon:

Here' what you need to do. Take the bottom of you carb off. It's a 14mm or a 17mm bolt. You'll see you main jet. It has a number on it. If it's a 98 or whatever stock was, than your stock.

Next, get a Mesa Boogie Rectifer 100watt head with a 4x12 cab. That and that crf150, you'll be the coolest kid on the street! :moon:

LOL, I've got a Budda 30watt Head and a 2x12 cab paired with a Fender Vibro King, so I think I'm covered on that end! As far as the CRF goes, I have NO idea how to work any kinda of motor/carb (I was too busy learning guitar! LOL) so that doesn't help at all....

LOL, I've got a Budda 30watt Head and a 2x12 cab paired with a Fender Vibro King, so I think I'm covered on that end! As far as the CRF goes, I have NO idea how to work any kinda of motor/carb (I was too busy learning guitar! LOL) so that doesn't help at all....

hahaha. Guitarman, I hear ya. I second guess working on my bike, all the time. Well, if you do try this, it's truely really easy. Like I said, if you take the bottom of your carb off, there's two ways to do it.

1. Take the whole bottom off, which is 3 phillips screws.

2. Remove the nut on the bottom of the carb, which is just that. The very bottom and I think that's a 14mm or 17mm. Anyway, if you didn't remove your carb from the bike, it could be hard to see in there, but if you did, here's a brass piece sticking out. That's your main jet!!! It's that easy. On it's side, you'll see the main jet number. That's it. I'm in Calif. so mine would be able 115 to 120. I think stock said 98. If someone had the 115, for example, that would likely mean they had the needle changed too.

Now back to the most important part. "Chugg'n" I'm talking about playing that open E string and the fleshy part of your picking hand, pressed lightly against your strings. Pick away like that and your CHUGG'N!!! :moon: