Sign in to follow this  

need help picking year crf250X

I am a newb here but i did use the search function not a newb to forums just to this one and im looking for a bike and i believe i settled on the 250X, ive rode several but they were either the original model or the year right after and i felt they were underpowered, i cant spring for a new bike i race quads but im wanting to get into bikes, or back into bikes i should say, i had planned to sooner but i got alot better on a quad and my sponsors got doing alot more for me and i love racing XC, play racing Mx and FMX but im looking for an endure bike i also like endurecross,

I would have bought a 250X the first year it was out but compared to the R is was so underpowered, i had a friend who raced and had a crf250R who had been made to run harescrambles he had it converted probably as much as you could mising a light you would have thought by riding it that is was an endure bike he shortly had a 405 setuo the same wat be hit dithed it for the 250, and he wanted to ride one of my quads so we swapped out and rode alot and i got the itch

I cant spring for s new one so im looking for advice like took at year X it has a better heard and card suspension eTc.

Im hoping you guys can point me in the right direction i dont mind a modded bike but i think id rather find a stock one and mod it myself i have race soonsors for my quads so thye will help me with the bike, so any info you could swing my way would be great, i hate to put this in the honda forum but the other bikes i was considering was the ktm 250XC and 250 XCF

need advice

help me guys

2006 is the first year they changed the valve material for "longer valve life" I have a 2006 and absolutely love it, do all the CCC mods and change the gearing and it'll bring it to life.

i also have an 06 and have never had problems. i wouldnt get rid of that bike for anything. just do the routine mait. and it will run forever.

I have an '04 and my dad has an '06. The 06 definatly has a bit more power, but my 04 gets the job done and I couldn't ask for a better trail bike.

But, I would suggest the newest possible model you can afford.

Maybe I'm biased, but I would pick up a KTM any day over most any other brand. If you can get the KTM IMO

IMO a Honda (250X) is a lot more practical than a KTM. Parts are hard to get for a KTM, I (think) they are more expensive, not many shops will work on them (Near me), not many places sell them (Near me) and Honda is known for their reliability. Just my thoughts, I've always had a Honda though.

You should go for the 07 or 08 model, as they have the newer style cylinder head and cam which is closer to the R and make much better power than the earlier models. If you go for the 08 it has the same engine as 07 but has the smaller tank and new style smaller headlight.

i have an 06 and professionally maintaines it and the intake valves zeroed out in no time. so i put the stainless kit in and holy shit thats much better. other than that this bike is the best.

I agree with you on buying a stock bike and then modifying it yourself. Mods that work for you may not work for others and vice versa. A bunch of CRF 250X's can be had that are trail ridden only by older slower riders (such as myself). If you race already, try to hook up with a few test rides. I know here and other places I raced the other guys are more than happy to help others out. A 250XC is an altogether different animal than the CRF. Some like 2t's others simply do not. I like them both personally, but was not always a fan of 2t's. IMO it's hard to beat a well setup 250 2t race wise. But again alot of it is simply personal preference. I have not seen any smokin deals on used 250XC's though:excuseme: I would really like a 250XC with the e-start, but don't have the coin right now. I would still keep my X though, it's a labor of love. Everything is being re-done right now, can't wait to ride it again:banana:

We own 2 2006 250Xs. Was going to get my son a 2008, but the smaller tank was the deciding factor for me. I didn't want him to have less fuel than me. That plus I didn't like the dual exhaust.

They both bogged at first, but that is a non issue now unless you just totally whack the throttle, which we don't do when riding trails.

Mine is a CA version...my son's a 48 state. 48 state is better because cam a little hotter. His bike wasn't as hard as mine to get jetted right. When we do valves, both will likely get different cams.

You should go for the 07 or 08 model, as they have the newer style cylinder head and cam which is closer to the R and make much better power than the earlier models. If you go for the 08 it has the same engine as 07 but has the smaller tank and new style smaller headlight.
Absolutly true. My 07 was noticably stronger than my buddy's 06.

Another person said that KTM parts are hard to find compared to Honda.

NOT TRUE. Most of the time I needed a Honda part it had to be ordered, just as my KTM parts. As with any type of bike, sometimes they have the part, most of the time they don't.

I have an 07 with the CCC mods done which includes, opening the air box, re-jet the carb, R cam and R head pipe and have been completely satisfied.