Sign in to follow this  

02-07 cr125r

i ahve a 02 cr125 and it is getting to its time in life where it is gonna take lots of money to get going again...not as much as a new bike mind you. my question i know it has been asked a hundred times and there is even a sticky about it. what is the difference from my 02 to a 07. i was looking at plastic kits for it and it seems like the plastics are different for the newer ones. can i get the new plastics onto my old CR? my rear shock is leaking oil. how hard is this to do? is it equivelent to fork seals? its pipe is dented and even that is gonna need to be replaced..... its gonna need a new clutch too.

i love the old girl but its taking alot of money to keep going. i kinda want somebody to give me good news so i dont have to sell it

IF you are savy in a shop, you can get the bike going for super super cheap.

new pipe, cheap. rebuilding the rear shock takes seals from factory connection or race tech, basic hand tools, and grinder to grind the stop off the nut on the valve stack. new oil and a few $ for the recharge of nitrogen at the local shop. manual can help with everything but the seals, but the seals are pretty easy to take care of, just grind the stopper off the top of the shaft that holds the valve stack on (this is after it's apart of course) thread the nut off, slide everything off and put it back the exact same way!!!!!! only assemble with new seals, and that's it

I ran rebuild 2 rear shocks in the amount of time it takes me to overhaul forks.

difference between the 02-07 is 04 got new rc powervalve (made the bike slower then 2003) 2005 got a whole new engine, much faster then 02-04 and 05-07 was the same.

2004-07 got new triple clamps. new front fender and front number plate. with a set of stock clamps off ebay, and 2 peices of plastic it would look just like a 2007 (from a distance) rest of the plastic is the same.

no bike is every worth selling if you can do ALL the work yourself.

what do you mean from a distance? do the rear fenders match up too? the only bit of work i am afraid of is the shock

The plastic will all bolt up except for the front number plate. They moved the mounting bolt from the front of the number plate to the top, that is why you would need a new triple clamp. It is really not worth it at all. The only noticeable change besides that is the front fender has a different style but still bolts up. I used all 05+ plastic on my 02 cr125 except the front number plate. As for the shock I just rebuilt one for the first time and it is a lot easier then forks. Just take your time and make sure you bleed it well. Then have a shop fill the bladder for you, saves tons of money. You can find all the info for this in the suspension section of the site.

As for the pipe, get it off ebay. You will save a lot of money doing this, even new you can find them a little above $100. The clutch is the same way, you can find parts for bikes of this age for fairly cheap on ebay. Also you can get a Tusk clutch kit from rockymountainmc.com for less than $50 and I have had really good luck with them in all my bikes.

You can easily do the shock, fork seals, top end, clutch, pipe, linkage bearings, and wheel bearings for under $500 and have a completely fresh bike that will last.