Sign in to follow this  

Street Snow Riding

I live in MD. and I heard from a buddy that its legal to ride dirtbikes and quads on roads if theres at least 4in. of snow and covered roads, is this fact or a lie?

~thanks

It's not the amount of snow. It is when your township, bough, city, etc declare a snow emergency. Then you can ride bikes, quads, and snowmobiles on the roads, For going to get emergency food and such right?

It's not the amount of snow. It is when your township, bough, city, etc declare a snow emergency. Then you can ride bikes, quads, and snowmobiles on the roads, For going to get emergency food and such right?

If you can ride your bike on the street and stay upright, I'm going to wager that an automobile will make it just fine.

That is, unless you have studded tires, then all bets are off.

It depends on the state. I was in Montana a few years ago and people were riding snow machines and quads on the roads after a big snow storm. Don't know if it was legal or if nobody cared but it looked like fun. When I'm in Mexico I ride my quad on the highway, but thats another story.

If you can ride your bike on the street and stay upright, I'm going to wager that an automobile will make it just fine.

That is, unless you have studded tires, then all bets are off.

I ride my bike down roads in 8 inches of unplowed snow with out studs, try that in a car. The key is to keep moving and leave it in 5th with the rear tire in a controlled spin, it can be kind of fun too. :moon: I've done it on this bike, it just chugs right along.

11-28-08004.jpg

I live in MD. and I heard from a buddy that its legal to ride dirtbikes and quads on roads if theres at least 4in. of snow and covered roads, is this fact or a lie?

~thanks

i live in nj and the only time its ok is during a state of emergency. but nobody really care's the cops are gonna have to earn that. they will never catch u. besides its kinda funny to see them try. they usually just watch u blow by

I ride my bike down roads in 8 inches of unplowed snow with out studs, try that in a car. The key is to keep moving and leave it in 5th with the rear tire in a controlled spin, it can be kind of fun too. :moon: I've done it on this bike, it just chugs right along.

11-28-08004.jpg

8 iinches? You mean a "dusting"?

Got that on Christmas, and drove to and fro my in laws....80 miles each way.

The road I live on and my driveway wasn't plowed, drove right up both and into the garage, no problemo!

I lived in northern Illinois (McHenry/Fox Lake) for a couple of years, there were "snow mobile" routes along side the regular highways and out on the (many, very) frozen lakes. Regular, signed, road crossings for them, so I presume you could ride any unlicensed vehicle on them.

Serious winter there, started snowing in early November, and you didn't see the ground again until sometime in middle/late April. I seen some days where the daytime high temp didn't get above 0.

Remembering that makes the teens and twenties here not seem so bad.:moon:

Last snowstorm we had (in PA) their were alot of people out on atvs and snowmobiles riding the streets. some even filled up at gas stations. It might not be legal but i think the cops just let its slide because i dont think their going to catch an atv that leaves the road and rides into a field.