Sign in to follow this  

Wr450 vs 450exc

Not to start another controversy but just looking for a little insight here:

I had planned on buying a new WR450F (and adding a plate).

By most accounts this bike is pretty darn bulletproof.

Recently became aware of some deals on leftover 09 450EXC's. I was leaning this way due to the 6th gear and it being street legal from the factory. Upon doing some reseach on the bike it seems there are alot of issues regarding oil loss/migration (between engine & tranny) on the 08/09 models with the new engine.

How prevalent is this oil issue on the 2009 models? I was also told by a dealer that part of the problem was due to people putting to much oil in the engine??

I was ready to dring the coolaid and go to the darkside

TIA

I'm not knowledgeable about the problem you mention with the KTM's, but I'd definitely be skeptical of anything the dealership tells you, afterall, they're not exactly "non-biased". Also, just like any other business or company, a bike dealership will usually have some complete idiots, a few enthusiasts that have somewhat of a clue, and then 1 or 2 experts. In my experience, this forum is a MUCH better resource for info. I'm sure someone with some specific knowledge of that issue will chime in.

I had a WR and liked it pretty well. Definitely a very reliable bike. For the type of riding I do I have to say that I like my Honda 450x better but the WR is a great bike, for sure. :moon:

I'm not knowledgeable about the problem you mention with the KTM's, but I'd definitely be skeptical of anything the dealership tells you, afterall, they're not exactly "non-biased". Also, just like any other business or company, a bike dealership will usually have some complete idiots, a few enthusiasts that have somewhat of a clue, and then 1 or 2 experts. In my experience, this forum is a MUCH better resource for info. I'm sure someone with some specific knowledge of that issue will chime in.

I had a WR and liked it pretty well. Definitely a very reliable bike. For the type of riding I do I have to say that I like my Honda 450x better but the WR is a great bike, for sure. :moon:

Just curious, what year WR did you have and what is it about the 450x you prefer?

Thanks,

J

Mine was an '03. Both the Honda and the Yamaha have their little things that bug me. Nothing about either bike was/is a major complaint. They're all minor and can all be lived with.

Things I like better about the Honda:

The handling, particularly the cornering and the ability to choose & hold a line on a steep climb. Seemed like the WR wanted to wander just a bit more (due to a more slack head angle, perhaps?). Attention to detail- Each manufacturer engineers bikes in their own unique way and IMO things are just a little cleaner/tighter on the Honda (with 1 or 2 exceptions). Changing the oil & oil filter is a breeze compared to the WR.

Things I like better about the WR: The airbox and the ease of removing/replacing the air filter! It was almost fun to do & is something I really miss when working in the ridicuously tight box of the honda! -This is a major irritant because it's something we all do quite often. It was a little more stable at high speeds (more slack angle, again?). Also, from the factory the suspension was a little closer to ideal than the Honda. I'm 210 lbs and got the WR working pretty good by changing the springs and adjusting oil height & clickers. I had to do all that plus a revalve with the Honda.

I would say that I like the power delivery better on the honda but it's hard to compare because I bought my honda new & have taken good care of it. I bought the WR used and it was a little tired. There's also a 3 yr difference between the 2 bikes, but in a lot of cases this is more of a rider feel/preference thing. Both are great motors, for sure.

Anytime! It's all just my opinion and observations-- bottom line is that they're both good bikes and I'm sure you'd be happy with either, and although I haven't ridden the KTM's much (and never owned one) I'm thinking you'd probably like that too (most KTM guys love their bikes!). You're fortunate to be able to register dirt bikes for the street there- I wish it were easier here in California!!! Well good luck & have fun!