Sign in to follow this  

Wiseco Ring Gap any different than the recommended from Honda?

I got my piston in today and measured the ring end gaps and they were actually a bit tighter than .010". Wiseco reccomends them to be at .010".

1.) My question is what should I file them to. I believe that Honda Recommends them to be more around .016"?

2.) Also Wiseco recommends the top one to be slightly tighter than the bottom ring. Should I do this?

3.) The two rings are identical correct? There isn't a top and bottom one? Also there are no markings on them so I assume any side can be facing up?

Thanks,

Danny :moon:

0.016" seems like a pretty wide end gap for a 250 2 stroke. Perhaps that is the maximum end gap specified by Honda. Wiseco's 0.010" sounds about right.

Follow the Wiseco ring end gap, not the Honda spec. Wiseco ring end gaps have always been tighter. Better lasting top ends with more compression in the long run.:moon:

no markings means either side up OK. The newer Wiseco rings don't mark an up side

Wiseco recommends the ring end gap of the second ring to be larger than the first to reduce ring flutter. seems like they would know

Ring gaps are the same, rings are the same, rings are in fact interchangeable. Looser is safer for ring gaps. If they're too tight, they'll butt together when the piston gets hot and break the piston. .016 is safely loose. I think Wiseco specs .012. Just hit somewhere in that range and you're good to go.

The rings are not beveled which means there is no top side, install either direction.