Sign in to follow this  

Cranky CRF

Seems that my new 08 CRF450X does not like to sit around. If I don't ride it for a couple of weeks, and go to start it - it is a cranky SOB. Kick it, e-button, starts - dies - repeat. Has the JD carb kit in it and a FMF Q4 did nothing to the slow leak jet, but I have some that I ordered from JD. Should I change the slow jet to ease the cold starts. As an example, my XR650L - which had not run in weeks, and is uncorked, even with a low battery lit off with just a couple of cranks. So I am thinking maybe the same thing, needs a fatter pilot on the CRF ? like my XRL has.

What main jet, needle and what notch did you put the clip in from the JD kit ?

Also what is your fuel screw set at?

not sure why they would tell you not to adjust it. thats how you fine tune the pilot circuit. if u still have the stock fuel screw you will need either a red or blue butt connecter to turn it, also if you have the stock screw do yourself a favor and ditch it for one that is easily accessable.:moon:

with mine after sitting for a few weeks I have to wick the throttle about 8 times and then it usually fires right up sometimes it takes a 2nd time with the majic button but no more gas. Mines an 05 though

the stock '08 fuel screw is a set point/ non-adjustable screw (this was done for emissions compliance, and is why JD says not to touch it) remove it a put a brass t handle screw in

• Like 1

the stock '08 fuel screw is a set point/ non-adjustable screw (this was done for emissions compliance, and is why JD says not to touch it) remove it a put a brass t handle screw in

awesome info Thanks! makes perfect sense it is non sdjustable just like the on on the XR650L for emissions... I have the brass T handle screw and will install, how may turns out do I go ? 2 1/4 ?

Start at 1 & 1/2 then adjust from there as needed.

wow! only 1.5 turns out from bottomed? seems like a pretty standard adjustment. But then again these CRFs are not my forte'.

The replies are all good. I have an 07 and my bike doesn't like to sit either. If I am riding frequently it starts and runs like a champ. Let it sit for couple weeks and takes some effort to start and runs rough for first couple miles. I don't know if yours does that, but my solution is to just ride more often. Good luck.

also and maybe very important DO NOT twist the throttle to start it, it floods it.

Im not sure about that. Like I posted after sitting for a while it takes 8 blips and starts just fine. other wise it will kill the battery trying to get it to start!!!!

You need to get yourself the R&D Flex-Jet remote fuel screw. I have an 08 with the JD kit installed, 165 main, red needle 4th, stock pilot, stock leak jet, stock pipe, opened top air box, smog block off kit. It ran great after installing the JD kit and everything else but it still had some hesitation off idle and bogged once in a while. I just installed the R&D fuel screw and set it at 2 turns out to start with and that made a big difference, and its very easy to adjust on the fly. And like was mentioned, you'll need a butt connector to get that stock screw out....hold the connector with some needle nose and jam it up in there and twist it out.

When I start my bike for the first time when riding I always give it a couple wacks of the throttle then it starts right up.

FLEX-TECH.jpg

You need to get yourself the R&D Flex-Jet remote fuel screw. I have an 08 with the JD kit installed, 165 main, red needle 4th, stock pilot, stock leak jet, stock pipe, opened top air box, smog block off kit. It ran great after installing the JD kit and everything else but it still had some hesitation off idle and bogged once in a while. I just installed the R&D fuel screw and set it at 2 turns out to start with and that made a big difference, and its very easy to adjust on the fly. And like was mentioned, you'll need a butt connector to get that stock screw out....hold the connector with some needle nose and jam it up in there and twist it out.

When I start my bike for the first time when riding I always give it a couple wacks of the throttle then it starts right up.

FLEX-TECH.jpg

Try a 50 or 55 leak jet and I bet it cures your bog completely

I spoke with James at JD jetting, via the e-mail, he suggested / recommended a JD fuel screw to be installed and begin at 1 1/4 turns out. I guess I have to loosen the carb clamps to do this and tilt the carb on it's side. ick. Also installed a NEW airbox, I had a very moronic moment and really butchered the original one. R&I of an airbox is NOT fun btw. It's so cold in WA right now that the air boot was very stiff and would not easily slide back onto the carb, so I used a heat gun and warmed it up a bit. and then I had the wiring harness on the outside of the frame vs inside. (by the left frame rail airbox area) and so had to reposition that. :moon:

Well - I am on vacation until January 4th. Lotsa of time to work on it and of course RIDE it. :cheers:

Another thing that really help my cold starts was to increase the starter jet 5 sizes, this is the jet for the choke, starting the bike cold after weeks of sitting is night/day better, this allows you to not over richin the fuel screw/pilot circuit to compensate.