Sign in to follow this  

Lost: Confidence, please help me find it.

Hello, haven't posted here in a while.

About a year and a half ago, I destroyed my knee when the front end washed out on an easy off camber right hand turn. Perfect conditions, fire road, hard packed soil. Tore my ACL, PCL, miniscus, crushed cartilage, fractured the femoral condyle, and the tibial plateau. Never fell off, just kept going back to camp.

Since then I have changed the front tire to a 756 and bought Asterisk Cell braces.

My problem is this.

I have no more confidence. I ride a lot slower than the group of guys I usually ride with. I feel like I'm holding them up. They say it's no problem, but I am embarrassed, and usually the least rested guy due to the fact that when I pull up they are ready to go.

I want the old days back. I want to be able to breeze around a turn and not look back. I want to let the rear end float where it wants to without getting off the gas for fear of falling or washing out. I want to pay no attention to those rocks, ruts or tree stumps like before.

But most of all I want to ride WITH my friends instead of behind them.

Naaaah! you just need a lot of seat time. you cannot go right back to your old pace. we all suffer from this to some degree right after a get off. your get off was major and serious so it will take a lot longer to get back up to speed. EVERY time i crash, it takes me anywhere from 20 minutes to hours to get back to my normal pace and that is usually without body damage. my mind tells me to be more cautious even though i physically know i can go faster. practice practice practice until you convince yourself

Joe

• Like 1

hey joe can you advised me on the best jets and needle combo for a stock ktm 250exc with a gnarly pipe ans fmf silencor w/sa at or near sea level on 92 unl. thanks

I broke 4 bones in my wrist when I ate it in the desert. The next few rides, I was scared..I didnt want to touch the technical stuff, I didnt want to hit any steep descents.

My dad is my best riding partner, but he just forced me to ride the rough stuff, and sooner or later I was riding faster than I ever did...

I can focus on what I'm doing alot better now... I guess the advice I can give is get as much seat time as you can get, and slowly push yourself further and further....

Work on going faster little by little...

Focus on your body, what position it's in, what muscles are tensed and what arent, the position of your bike...

I have just recently come back from an injury myself. I broke two ribs and a bone in my right hand in almost the exact same situation as you OP. I have been on three rides since. First was scary as hell and ended up with a lot of arm pump and was tired out after only a half hour of riding. By my third ride I was back to riding some tight ST and fast fire roads and starting to feel the flow of the bike again. I went down once and, since I didn't get hurt, I think it helped me get past the whole crashing thing.

Anyways, I believe you are overthinking right now as you are worried about going down again. I know I was doing the same thing. Just give it some time and try to relax. The more seat time you get the better you will feel and it should come back.

Fear is a nautral thing, it's how we survive as a species, you don't ride a dirt bike or sky dive because you are fearless, you do it for the thrill to get over the fear, it's the excitment that keeps you coming back for more.

However when things do go wrong it's never fun and your mind can play horrible tricks on you and project your worst fears, the trick is to over come them little by little - like the old saying goes "slowly, slowly catch the monkey"

The only person that can help you is you, pump yourself up as you ride saying things like, "That was a sweet corner, I know I can go just a little faster" and do it. Commit to every corner every little rise etc and in no time you going to be blasting harder than ever.

Good luck bud - and best season wishes to you and yours.

how old are you? there"s a reason we slow down as we get older, preservation instinct. Easier to get hurt longer to heal. It just takes more effort to fight that instinct if you wanna go fast -old.

Hello, haven't posted here in a while.

About a year and a half ago, I destroyed my knee when the front end washed out on an easy off camber right hand turn. Perfect conditions, fire road, hard packed soil. Tore my ACL, PCL, miniscus, crushed cartilage, fractured the femoral condyle, and the tibial plateau. Never fell off, just kept going back to camp.

Since then I have changed the front tire to a 756 and bought Asterisk Cell braces.

My problem is this.

I have no more confidence. I ride a lot slower than the group of guys I usually ride with. I feel like I'm holding them up. They say it's no problem, but I am embarrassed, and usually the least rested guy due to the fact that when I pull up they are ready to go.

I want the old days back. I want to be able to breeze around a turn and not look back. I want to let the rear end float where it wants to without getting off the gas for fear of falling or washing out. I want to pay no attention to those rocks, ruts or tree stumps like before.

But most of all I want to ride WITH my friends instead of behind them.

You had a pretty bad injury, snowball. Give yourself some time to get your mojo back. I'm sure your buddies are happy to see you back and understand the situation so maybe you should give yourself a pat on the back for being able to get out and ride at any speed. I'm usually the slowest guy in my group and I get frustrated if the leaders have to wait too long but they are very cool about it and always encouraging knowing what I've had to overcome to be on the bike at all. I understand exactly how you feel. I had a very wad up last April crushing the left side of my chest and damaging nerves feeding my left arm. I'm not yet back to the speed I was before but I'll get there and so will you.

All good advice^^^^. One thing that works for me is to spend time hitting the weights, home gym, and bicycle. This does two things; it will give your body the strength and agility to ride with more control and less effort and secondly your mental confidence will skyrocket... you will feel strong and secure knowing your in shape and able to survive typical get-offs without injury. Be patient and the speed (and grin factor) will come back :moon:

Sorry to hear about the injuries. Sounds pretty bad. Fear is a natural emotion that should not be denied. It will take awhile to get back to the skill level and confidence level where you were. When we ride near the limit of our abilities, the risks are higher. I've slowed down a lot and I don't ride with the same guys anymore. I'm still having fun though. Yeah, I could go faster, but I can't afford to pay the price anymore.

All good advice^^^^. One thing that works for me is to spend time hitting the weights, home gym, and bicycle. This does two things; it will give your body the strength and agility to ride with more control and less effort and secondly your mental confidence will skyrocket... you will feel strong and secure knowing your in shape and able to survive typical get-offs without injury. Be patient and the speed (and grin factor) will come back :moon:

this is really good advice, the extra strength and flexibility will really help, you will feel stronger and more capable on the bike(it's like a magic pill). Also, if you can find a buddy who will go with you on some rides where you can just go at the pace that is comfortable and most of all ENJOYABLE to you, with rests when you need them, that will help a lot!!! Finding the love again will also help with the confidence. You've had a really bad injury that's going to take a lot of rehab, and 99% of people who've had their knee blown up like yours would still be moaning on the couch, so you are to be commended for getting back out there! don't beat yourself up, just relax and you'll be back to "normal" faster than you know it!

your body still knows how to ride like you used to, except for your knee, it's mostly just your mind holding you back. it helps to break down the problem into what is real and what is "imaginary"--like your knee is rebuilt, you can rehab it and get back some degree of usefulness in it, and fear, though while one can indeed use it for self preservation, is in the "imaginary" category. just sayin that mind games are easier to overcome than actually losing a body part, like an arm for instance, there is a guy out here who just has one arm and still tears up the woods, talk about inspiration!!!

also, beating yourself up over this is also "imaginary" and not useful to your recovery, chuck it:D put that energy into strengthening your knee and leg

you need to remember a dirt bike is designed to ride a certain way.. if you roll corners you are not setting the front wheel and can cause a more dangerous situation. the possibility of going down at putting pace is just as high, and because you dont expect it, it can be worse. ou said it yourself, it was an EASY off camber right. never roll a bike, be on the gas or on the brakes.... that makes the handleing and suspension work properly. you dont have to push it real hard, just ride it in your and its capabilities and it will be safer...we always say i was riding great then i did one more lap, or we were done and heading back to the truck when i crashed... that is when you are not focused and not pushing a bit and that is when it happens,,, push it, its safer :moon:

Thank all of you for the advise. I knew I could count on the off-road community for honesty and sound advise. Helping a total stranger on a forum, just like you would help a total stranger on the trail. This is what I like most about riding.

To answer Highmark's question, I'm 43, and have been riding for 33 of those years minus 1 and 1/2 for the injury. Never raced and always knew my limitations.

Fear? Thought that was something I got over years ago. I work for a major metropolitan city running into burning buildings. Maybe I do need to see a shrink!

The upshot is this will make me have to get out there more, and I will.

Thank you all again for your kindness.

Stay safe, and Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

Thank all of you for the advise. I knew I could count on the off-road community for honesty and sound advise. Helping a total stranger on a forum, just like you would help a total stranger on the trail. This is what I like most about riding.

To answer Highmark's question, I'm 43, and have been riding for 33 of those years minus 1 and 1/2 for the injury. Never raced and always knew my limitations.

Fear? Thought that was something I got over years ago. I work for a major metropolitan city running into burning buildings. Maybe I do need to see a shrink!

The upshot is this will make me have to get out there more, and I will.

Thank you all again for your kindness.

Stay safe, and Happy Holidays.

Hey I do that burning building thing too!! I'm a bit older though...just made 50. In 07 I got an episode at a medical at work and eventually found I had just about complete blockage in my left anterior descending artery in my heart. Luckily I didn't have a heart attack and had no heart damage. ..got an angioplasy(balloon to open artery) then had a stent( wire screen) put into the artery to keep it open. It got better then I got another stent put in 08 for the right coronary artery. It goes without saying that my confidence was shaken. I work in a kind of macho man type job and I was worried about 1)keeping my job 2) making sure that I could handle and that the guys I work with wouldn't see me as a liability. I was also worried I wouldn't go ride dirtbike and die of a heart attack in the mountains. It all came with seat time and getting a better feel of the strength and limitations of your body. I did my time with physical therapy . That helped my confidence big time. I learned to control and understand my medication too . I have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure too . The great(bad) Hawaii food and the unhealthy alarms at 2 in the morning for extended years don't help. It is just time working out and getting over the rough times when you just don't feel that confident.. I am good now. I can get better though. I just placed in the over 45 class in our holiday hare scramble on the 13th. I used the race as a goal to shoot for. My speed is not what it was yet but it's coming back. I can go at a fast clip but not for very long. I have to work on cardio. When I just got the stent and I was holding my *** hoping everything would be ok I kept thinking I was going to ride. I watched videos. Played motox on xbox, read books...I was jonesing big time to ride . Lots and lots of riders get hurt and come back. Everyone here have been through different stuff and came back. You will too. It just takes time.:moon:

I must say since you do that burning building thing we tend to die alot earlier than the rest of the population for multiple illnesses. I am part of the proof of that so keep that in mind. Eat a heart healthy diet. I am lucky.

Here is a link for you to check out:

http://www.paramedicsafety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95:study-finds-heart-disease-an-epidemic-for-firefighters&catid=1:news&Itemid=55

http://www.lifeclinic.com/fullpage.aspx?prid=602954&type=1

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Check this site out. This guys specializes in motocross racers. He has some free papers on regaining confidence. Check out the racing section of his site and the "Confident athlete" CD.

We've all been there. Takes time.

http://www.peaksports.com

Couldn't get better advise than this. Keeping the machine(your body) in top form is paramount to physical AND mental well-being.

where did you have it last? have you checked there?

let us know after you check, ill bet its right where you left it!

• Like 1