Sign in to follow this  

Sumo wheels

Do these look good? Any issues you can see.I think these are stock for the SM and will bolt right up to an S with the smaller disc brake or with a larger 320mm disk and caliper relocator?

sumo1.jpg

sumo2.jpg

sumo3.jpg

Thanks,

Jbw

If they are OEM DRZ wheels keep in mind that the speedo will not read correctly unless you get a SM speedo gear (like $50 at the TT store new or used off Ebay a little cheaper)....also realize that the kickstand on your S will make it stand more straight up and down when parked. A SM kickstand is 1" shorter than a S kickstand....you might want one of them or have yours cut and shortened so it doesn't tip over.

I got the wheels :moon:. They are stock SM and were able to bolt right up to my bike without any other messing around, will have to look into getting a larger disc later on.

They have Avon Distanzias and cost me $500.

So I show up after a weekend in the desert with my very dirty bike. We fit the wheels and then have a discussion about his bike... well it is not running, blowing fuses. So we dig into the bike find where a wire is getting pinched and fix it. Bike fires right up(well after a little time on the charger). So I think we both made out pretty well, he was going to take it into a shop.

I have a sumo front fender ready to bolt on also.

4202849496_b2ca51b4d0_b.jpg

jbw

Do I now need to run the brake line on the outside of the forks?

when I changed mine I got an aftermarket ss line and was using a spacer on the caliper for a bigger disc. I lowered my forks a bit and just ran the line in the best path. it could rub against something it you aren't careful.

I got the wheels :moon:. They are stock SM and were able to bolt right up to my bike without any other messing around, will have to look into getting a larger disc later on.

They have Avon Distanzias and cost me $500.

So I show up after a weekend in the desert with my very dirty bike. We fit the wheels and then have a discussion about his bike... well it is not running, blowing fuses. So we dig into the bike find where a wire is getting pinched and fix it. Bike fires right up(well after a little time on the charger). So I think we both made out pretty well, he was going to take it into a shop.

I have a sumo front fender ready to bolt on also.

4202849496_b2ca51b4d0_b.jpg

jbw

Hey Josh,

Come on a Holiday Lights cruise with us tomorrow night. Meet at Fivebucks Coffee on the corner of 15 Freeway & Mira Mesa Blvd. at 7:15-7:30pm. We'll head-up to Oveido Street in Rancho Skinurpenis, then we may head down to your neck of the woods in Pt. Loma to checkout Garrison Street as well.

There are 4-5 of us going so far.

Hey Josh,

Come on a Holiday Lights cruise with us tomorrow night. Meet at Fivebucks Coffee on the corner of 15 Freeway & Mira Mesa Blvd. at 7:15-7:30pm. We'll head-up to Oveido Street in Rancho Skinurpenis, then we may head down to your neck of the woods in Pt. Loma to checkout Garrison Street as well.

There are 4-5 of us going so far.

That sounds fun, I should be able to make it. I must note that I have no experience going fast in twisties.I have always had knobbies which have not allowed me to really learn how to ride fast (on the pavement that is).

One other note:Looks like I may have to track down an SM tire tomorrow. I had simply looked at the tire tread (seems like a lot left) and made sure the tires were the SM distanzias (which they are). What I failed to notice was the rear wheel has some dry rot right next to the rim. So is it imperative that I go buy a new rear tire before riding or is a little bit of cracking ok?

That sounds fun, I should be able to make it. I must note that I have no experience going fast in twisties.I have always had knobbies which have not allowed me to really learn how to ride fast (on the pavement that is).

No one's gonna be riding fast tonight. A little wet this morning, but we should be good later this evening.

One other note:Looks like I may have to track down an SM tire tomorrow. I had simply looked at the tire tread (seems like a lot left) and made sure the tires were the SM distanzias (which they are). What I failed to notice was the rear wheel has some dry rot right next to the rim. So is it imperative that I go buy a new rear tire before riding or is a little bit of cracking ok?

A little bit of cracking is ok. I've read about the "little cracking" on the Distanzia's recently it seems normal. :moon:

Should we expect you at the meeting spot?

4205966941_ffb8f3fe84_o.jpg

I think the pic makes it look a bit worse than it is as you cannot tell depth from the photo. The cracks are not that deep.

If this looks decent then yes I will meet you. I do have to do some checking and locktiting(discs) to get the wheels to a point where I feel safe to ride with them but that should not take long. Now to find some medium strength high temperature loctite.

Keep in mind that our little sumo's have TUBEs in them thar tires... a little cracking is not such a big deal, as it might be in a tubeless application. Ride and enjoy!!