Sign in to follow this  

Wheelsets/ Rims

Hi guys,

I have a limited edition crf250r with stock rims and wheels on it.

Anyways somehow, the back rim buckled ( Hit the ground hard or something like that) , my father was able to apply enough heat to bring it back it to normal in a vice without losing its shape, we then got the spokes re tightened.

A couple of weeks ago i was riding on a grassy paddock, and i just hit a piece of concrete under the surface, stopped to check the bike and both rims had buckled this time.

Btw, they were both running on 12 psi. And i'm only an 80kg 18yo.

So now, i will get them straightened, spokes checked etc. But i will need another set for racing so it wont matter if it happens to the stock set.

What rims do you recommend?

"7000 SERIES ALLOY RIM

6061-T6 GRADE ALUMINUM SPOOL TYPE HUB

HIGH POLISHED 304 STAINLESS STEEL SPOKES WITH ALLOY NIPPLES"

These seem to be 'DNA'.

"# Rim is constructed from 7075 T-6 aluminum to be the strongest in the market.

# Hub is forged (not cast or billet) from 6061 T-6 aluminum and CNC machined for precision fit, increased strength and maximum weight savings.

# Spokes and nipples are made from quality 304 stainless steel – spokes feature dual-diameter construction, which are stronger and lighter than other aftermarket spokes.

# Nipples are 6.8mm."

These are 'G-Force'.

They are just 2 options i found going off ebay.

Regards, Brodie

Learn how to build your own wheels (saves thousands in the long run) something sounds wrong, it should not be that easy to wreck stock honda did rims. I's 100kg (200lbs) 6ft tall and a fast intermediate. I have gone thought a handful of hondas. I taco'd a rim once but that's it.

Dna are a nice rim, I would go with excel if you can afford it. but hit ebay, search crf rim alot of stuff on there all the time. Prowheel are nice to. I would stick to stock hubs, get a good spoke set (prowheel comes to mind) then excel or prowheel, then dna, warp 9 etc etc.

Thats what i thought, it just didn't make sense. both had good spokes and both tires were 12psi. My last bike, yz125 didn't do it and my brothers crf150 doesn't do it too.

Anyway thanks for that, i'll keep looking.

All it takes to mess up the best of rims is to hit a sharp object just at the wrong angle. I've done in a few myself, mostly on rocks that suddenly jump out in front of me. :cheers:

I've also flat spotted a couple of rims off of hard landings from big air jumps. That usually happens around the rim lock area. I've been lucky in the last 4 bikes I haven't had to replace any stock rims. Knock on wood!:moon:

I have been looking at getting an extra set though. Check out the Sunline and the MSR lines of complete wheelsets.