Sign in to follow this  

dual sport tires

does any brand make a 70% dirt 30%street tire?

I not sure how tire companys get these %#s But i sure like the Dunlap908RR for a % like this.

Other than the deep sand it really worked good.Probly simply from the size,it's HUGE! For the front i run the best dirt tire i can get and change it often.In the dirt i want the best traction up front,i don't care what it does on the road.I just take it 'easy' on the road.(eg.do the speed limit)

There are a few, but it would be better if you told us what bike they are intended to be put on, and what kind of riding conditions you expect to put them through.....

With the right info many good suggestions can be found.......

:moon:

does any brand make a 70% dirt 30%street tire?

And out of the 70,000 some posts in this forum, there must be at least 10,000 of them on the exact question of DS tires. Search and you will be rewarded. Or confused.

Dunlop D606 would be the closest that I have seen. Have them on my bike currently and they seem ok in the dirt. putting pure dirt tires on soon to see the difference.

it is a 1985xl600r, and the trails around reno vary, hard pack to deep sand, I have straight dirt tire on it now , but begins to wobble bad at 55mph and will not straighten out no matter how much gas i give, the stock tires would do 90mph no problem

Then as stated earlier the Dunlop 606 would be a good option for your XL600R, as it is a durable tire, and can be ordered online cheap. But do yourself a favor have the front balanced. The 606 is a good tire, and like a heavier machine, but more of a 60/40 tire. The 908 is also a great tire, a 50/50 tire, just a little bit more pricey, yet may be closer to OEM rubber. For a bigger bike both of these tires are good.

If after installing new tires, and it still wobbles, take a close look at your steering head bearings and the swingarm bearings, not to mention your wheel bearings.....

thanks mark , I'll check those things out,but it never wobbled at high speeds before I replaced stock with: dunlop sports D755f (front) and Dunlop 606 rear (130/90 17) I do love the fact that the rear has very little wear after many dessert rides on hard sharp rocks, and a few hundred miles on pavement!

thanks mark , I'll check those things out,but it never wobbled at high speeds before I replaced stock with: dunlop sports D755f (front) and Dunlop 606 rear (130/90 17) I do love the fact that the rear has very little wear after many dessert rides on hard sharp rocks, and a few hundred miles on pavement!

If the rear is still good, just try a 606 on the front, but balance it! Yet some high speed wobbles can come from the rear, I try and balance all my D-S tires, I've found it really help, both front and rear.....

Good luck!!

M

I've just tried a Kenda Parker DT on the back and love it. great milage so far and nice and stiff side wall. great for the reno area .I'll give the front a shot too when the 606 is done.

i dont much care for the front d606 because it seems like it doesnt grab in the mud as well as it should. but i still have to toy around with air pressures to really give a good opinion. they are also pretty much brand new and not broke in.

Not to say they are the best/stickiest, but they last a long time, durable, and reasonable in price. Air pressure makes a big difference with them, I've run them down as low 12 lbs. for difference traction conditions.....

I'm hearing that the Kenda 777F may be one of the better DS-DOT legal front tires, and I'm thinking of trying them, yet they only last a lot of people around 500miles.

My last Dunlop 606 still looks very rideable after 1500 miles.....

several of us in the Vegas area use the 606 up front and either the Kenda 270 or Maxxis Desert IT. i like the grip of the 606 on pavement and dirt and the 270 gives good traction with great wear at an awesome price.