Sign in to follow this  

MXA 250F shootout a further contradiction

I know we've already debated at length the validity of the MXA shoot out. Our opinions of agreement and disagreement with their findings and summaries. I dont want to go down all the same routes again but having just received my digital copy of the jan issue i wanted to highlight to you guys something i picked up on which makes me question their opinions in a way i havent done before.

How can the reader take serious note of their views????

below are two comments straight from the editorial.

WHICH 2010 BIKE HAS THE BEST GEARING.

1ST Place Honda

there wernt any complaints voiced by test riders concerning the crf250 gearing. We tried different combinations but nothing worked as well as the stock set up. The crf250 is one of only two bikes in the shootout that didnt need a gearing change.

THEN IN THE SUMMARY SECTION....

THE 2010 MXA 250F SHOOTOUT WINNER IS

4TH PLACE HONDA. ................"the frame engine GEARING and forks are amiss"?????????

:moon::banghead::cheers:

Everyone should get the chance to ride SoCal tracks. You will get to see and ride with the famed "MXA wrecking team". In fact you get to see them quite abit as you will be lapping them every few laps. You can't miss those orange helmets. :moon:

transmission gear ratios and final drive gear ratios are two different things

I think they are just saying that on the Honda, the perfect blend wasn't achieved on this first of model. Doesn't surprise me...Honda has the money, so they'll fix it over the next year or two.

Everyone should get the chance to ride SoCal tracks. You will get to see and ride with the famed "MXA wrecking team". In fact you get to see them quite abit as you will be lapping them every few laps. You can't miss those orange helmets. :moon:

Couldn't be said better...

I often wonder how the guy who is rolling around the track has any idea what push, or turn in, or mid corner, or exit really means...

Granted they hire some pro riders to test...but the majority of the time, the people writing the article are just plain slow...

I really laugh when these shootouts actually bother people. It's all subjective and if you like the bike you're riding then, who cares?

Couldn't be said better...

I often wonder how the guy who is rolling around the track has any idea what push, or turn in, or mid corner, or exit really means...

Granted they hire some pro riders to test...but the majority of the time, the people writing the article are just plain slow...

I wouldn't call Dennis Stapleton or Willy Musgrave slow.

To add to the shootout confusion. Cycle News is done with their 2010 250F shootout and there's a first time winner.

1st Suzuki

2nd Kaw

3rd Honda

4th Yam

5th KTM

6th Husky

They said 2nd place was all but a tie between the Kaw and the Honda, but the nod went to the Kaw.

transworlds done too. Honda is second behind kawi...

Cycle News said the Honda had the best suspension, but its soft bottom fast but pro like motor kept it from the win. The Suzuki did everything well, but it was its turning that gave it the top spot nod. The Kaw was right there for the win, but the RMZ bumped it back due to it handled better.The top 3 were really close in this test.

The Honda would have won with a more novice friendly motor.

transworlds done too. honda is second behind kawi...

just read my transworld digital edition, I have to say that i do like the format of their tests. Giving a low down on the testers and their abilities and then having each one give a summary of their preferences is a good insight.

seems a much fairer and more balanced test of the bikes. Real shame the suzuki wasnt in there.

I wouldn't call Dennis Stapleton or Willy Musgrave slow.

Me neither.

I would pay money to see these posters tell Willy to his face that he's slow and could be lapped multiple times.

Priceless!

Are Dennis or Willie the only "testers" on MXA?

Because I see some other orange helmets rolling jumps at GH.

Me neither.

I would pay money to see these posters tell Willy to his face that he's slow and could be lapped multiple times.

Priceless!

How much money are we talking about?

I know we've already debated at length the validity of the MXA shoot out. Our opinions of agreement and disagreement with their findings and summaries. I dont want to go down all the same routes again but having just received my digital copy of the jan issue i wanted to highlight to you guys something i picked up on which makes me question their opinions in a way i havent done before.

How can the reader take serious note of their views????

below are two comments straight from the editorial.

WHICH 2010 BIKE HAS THE BEST GEARING.

1ST Place Honda

there wernt any complaints voiced by test riders concerning the crf250 gearing. We tried different combinations but nothing worked as well as the stock set up. The crf250 is one of only two bikes in the shootout that didnt need a gearing change.

THEN IN THE SUMMARY SECTION....

THE 2010 MXA 250F SHOOTOUT WINNER IS

4TH PLACE HONDA. ................"the frame engine GEARING and forks are amiss"?????????

:moon::banghead::cheers:

What I get from that is that the stock gearing isn't quite right, but it's still better than any other combinations of sprocket teeth that they tried. I don't see a contradiction?

everyone rides their bikes different, likes their suspension set-up different, likes the power delivery different and so on....

these bikes are so close that it dont matter what you pick, you will most likely ride the same pace. i forget what video but i was watching one and one pro said, all the factory bikes are so good in performance now a days, it dont matter what you pick, you should be able to win races on a bone stock bike.