Sign in to follow this  

2007 dr 650

Whats the size limit for the rear tire? Stock is 120/90-17, can I go any bigger? TY

Stock rim I would say limit it to a 130,but if you put a 4.25" rim on the back you can go up to a 150 before you have any sort of clearance problems...with a little bit of grinding I have heard of 160's fitting...YMMV...

I run the kenda k760 trakmaster 2 tire, it a 130/90/ 17 and there is still plenty of room without worry. And I love the tire too.

Whats the size limit for the rear tire? Stock is 120/90-17, can I go any bigger? TY

I've used both sizes with good success. (120/17 and 130/17) The DR seems to turn a little quicker/lighter with the 120 on ... at least with a new tire on. The 130 may last a bit longer ... especially with a street based tire like an Anakee, Distanzia or Tourance.

The good thing is that it opens up a bunch of tire choices for the DR, even in 3rd world countries, these are common sizes, cheap and available.

I'm currently using a Shinko 702 120/17 and very pleased with it over all. It will only make about 3,000 miles however but it's good both ON and OFF road, and good in wet too.

Edited by 54321

130/90 will work as well. You can squeeze a 130/70 or a 120/80 on as well, but the profile will be "pinched" a little.