'06 No Clutch

After riding a day with my son, my bike became hard to start. While in gear, I can pull in the clutch, but bike won't move. I can shift to neutral by hand and it rolls, but I put in gear, pull the clutch and the clutch isn't disengaging.

I have adjusted the cable but nothing will let the bike roll when the clutch is pulled.

Is my clutch toast? I was feathering clutch alot following my son through tough trails.

Well generaly a cold bike will have resistance in gear because the clutch is dry. How ever with it being running and in gear will it will want to pull? If so take your clutch cover off and inspect the clutch basket fingers. If it's a stock basket they are probably severly groves.

If like I suspect it's the clutch basket. You need to replace it. I bought a hinson basket from bro sports cheaper then oem 2nd day air for 240 if memory serves me right.

Barnett makes a basket with replaceable ss inserts that will last as long as the bike but I don't know if they have them for the kx yet.

Chase you maybe right only because of age. Plates and springs generaly cause slipping they generaly don't cause disegagement issues. The basket, cable, clutchperch, pushrod, are the cause. Allthough a broken plate could lock it. How ever I highly suspect a groves clutch basket.

Btw this is also a general consensus with me talking on the phone with pr1malr8gw. We both say clutch basket.

I looked again today.

I had my bike on a stand, removed the fill cap to see the plates, held in the clutch lever. With quite a bit of force, I could rotate the tire and see the plates being oiled. The movement didn't seem to get any easier with turning and the oil coating the plates, but I could see where it might if the bike was warmed up.

Do I understand that notching of the basket would cause the plates to hang up and not disengage correctly?

Thanks for your help.

Chase you maybe right only because of age. Plates and springs generaly cause slipping they generaly don't cause disegagement issues. The basket, cable, clutchperch, pushrod, are the cause. Allthough a broken plate could lock it. How ever I highly suspect a groves clutch basket.

Btw this is also a general consensus with me talking on the phone with pr1malr8gw. We both say clutch basket.

Thanks for the clarifacation, I didn't know that. So what would be the issue if the bike revvs out to quickly? Meaning no top end power.

Thanks for the clarifacation, I didn't know that. So what would be the issue if the bike revvs out to quickly? Meaning no top end power.

That is slipping which means either worn out clutch fibers, glazed steal clutch plates, mal adjusted clutch cable, worn out clutch springs, & a slew of other possible causes.

Well, I duno. You should take it apart first and see how bad of shape the plates are. If they were installed correctly and you should inspect the basket also. as the basket can also cause slipping..

Before you buy parts you must inspect.

Use the manual and see whats not in spect. I would definatly buy new springs as those actuly are abused more then the plates since well they are what put pressure on the plates.

Well, I duno. You should take it apart first and see how bad of shape the plates are. If they were installed correctly and you should inspect the basket also. as the basket can also cause slipping..

Before you buy parts you must inspect.

Use the manual and see whats not in spect. I would definatly buy new springs as those actuly are abused more then the plates since well they are what put pressure on the plates.

Thanks, yeah, I was going to take it apart before I just spent a bunch of money. But do plates get thinner? Like what kind of specs am I looking for in my manual?

Also, is it worth getting expensive springs such as pro circuit, and getting cheap plates such as Tusk?

Sorry for all of the questions...

We'll that's all your call.

There is other springs besides procircuit.

I can attest that I would not buy a tusk spring kit.

As far as thier plates. That's hard to say. Just Besure it's installled correctly.

I'm running procircuit springs how ever mine were free. Do I knotice a diffrance from stock? Nope. But I'm also not a. Clutch abuser.

To the orriginal poster.

Since you said the clutch is getting oil. The. You should take the clutch cover off and inspect the basket