Carolina riding on December 20th

Well, the mountains are covered in snow, over a foots worth in places, so our usually Brown mtn or Brushy Mtn or even the new Carolina motorsports park, are all sadly out this weekend.

South Carolina got no snow, at least not in the lower elevation areas, but got a shitload of rain.

The only places I can think of that will be ridable this weekend are CAW and Manchester on Sunday. CAW will be slick, and muddy as hell, but could still be good times. Manchester should be clean and dry being it's nothing but sand there. There will be Whoops at Manchester though.... so your legs will get a workout!

Anyway, I think I am going to Manchester tomorrow. Anyone else care to join in? 443Thumper and I were texting last night ( his power was out along with internet connection due to the snowstorm up his way) and he seemed interested in going. Plus I will have 2-3 more riders going down with me. Could be good times and good practice for the upcoming Sumpter events next month ( they are run at the same place as Manchester )

If you decide to go to Manchester, it's 5$ a day to ride there, and they sell passes at the gun range, or you can buy them online which I suggest you do if possible. Follow this link and click on Manchester to buy your pass http://www.state.sc.us/forest/permit.htm

Well, the mountains are covered in snow, over a foots worth in places, so our usually Brown mtn or Brushy Mtn or even the new Carolina motorsports park, are all sadly out this weekend.

South Carolina got no snow, at least not in the lower elevation areas, but got a shitload of rain.

The only places I can think of that will be ridable this weekend are CAW and Manchester on Sunday. CAW will be slick, and muddy as hell, but could still be good times. Manchester should be clean and dry being it's nothing but sand there. There will be Whoops at Manchester though.... so your legs will get a workout!

Anyway, I think I am going to Manchester tomorrow. Anyone else care to join in? 443Thumper and I were texting last night ( his power was out along with internet connection due to the snowstorm up his way) and he seemed interested in going. Plus I will have 2-3 more riders going down with me. Could be good times and good practice for the upcoming Sumpter events next month ( they are run at the same place as Manchester )

If you decide to go to Manchester, it's 5$ a day to ride there, and they sell passes at the gun range, or you can buy them online which I suggest you do if possible. Follow this link and click on Manchester to buy your pass http://www.state.sc.us/forest/permit.htm

Hey Gyro,

I heard that the gun range guy isn't there until 1:00 pm now........... If that is true online is the way to go.

They are good for one full year. I bought mine on Feb 24th 2009 and it says it's good till Feb 24th 2010. I figured I would go more than I have as I haven't been there at all since I bought the pass, but thats how it goes sometimes.

Unless your on a snowmobile carolina powersports park is way out! We are sitting under just about a foot of snow. Hey bring your sleds, I'd like to watch a couple guys huck themselves off a few of the jumps.

And I HAVE been stopped at Manchester before by a ranger asking to see my permit. It was in the parking lot, but they do patrol there so I would not advise anyone to ride without a pass.

Ditto! My Sumter "row bro" was there a couple of weeks ago and did not want to wait till 1 pm for the gun range to open and just went for it. He said after his first loop he was taking a break and saw the ranger going around checking passes and he just casually got on his bike and rode back out on the trails and never saw him the rest of the day!

The only decent riding I did today was on a bicycle.. It is an absolute snowy slushy muddy hellhole on the nearby trails. I really strongly dislike snow, it reminds me of my years living in the tundra. I am glad this does not happen very often in this neck of the woods!

All I can say is you sukkas that sat home cause of all the foul weather a few days ago missed out on Epic conditions at Manchester today.

First off, Temps were quite warm. Mid 50's at mid day. Sunny, light breeze, nice.

The sand was in primo condition. Not wet, but not dry and powdery. I rode somewhere around 50 miles today and didn't get a speck of mud on the bike. It was so clean that I could have just rinsed the sand dust off it with a garden hose to make it spotless again. My gear was so clean I just shook out any sand that was on it and stuck it back into the gearbag for the next ride.

Only downside to Manchester was that sand will work you out.... It was like a 2 for 1 sale, I got the workout of 2 rides on one! And I went through some gasoline too, you ride with alot more throttle in the sand.

Whoops were out there, but not too bad. Enough to keep your speed in check, but not enough to dampen the fun.

For Gmoss and Darren, and anyone else not well used to riding in the sand... Better get down there before Sumpter and practice. I was riding like crap till later in the day, takes some time to get adjusted to the different kind of riding sand requires. \

Oh and btw, did I mention that there was ZERO mud? Perfect conditions???

And lastly, got to take a guys Beemer 450 for a ride while I was down there. Bike felt heavier than my 300, but not too bad. I kinda liked it....

well i didnt get to ride but i got a workout in .. i ran on the treadmill for 3 miles, then sat in the sauna for 20 minutes, then shoveled my driveway, shoveled off the carport roof, and sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes.. probably not as good of a workout as riding the sand but better than nothing. I HATE SNOW

Manchester sounds fun. I definitely want to get down there soon.

well i didnt get to ride but i got a workout in .. i ran on the treadmill for 3 miles, then sat in the sauna for 20 minutes, then shoveled my driveway, shoveled off the carport roof, and sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes.. probably not as good of a workout as riding the sand but better than nothing. I HATE SNOW

Manchester sounds fun. I definitely want to get down there soon.

Not a bad workout! But I may have you beat...

I sat on my fat butt, played on Facebook, totally rocked some MX Unleashed on the PS2 (yes, 2) then went outside and smashed some chunks of ice/snow with a baseball bat...

Hmm.. am I 19, or 9?

:moon:

All I can say is you sukkas that sat home cause of all the foul weather a few days ago missed out on Epic conditions at Manchester today.

First off, Temps were quite warm. Mid 50's at mid day. Sunny, light breeze, nice.

The sand was in primo condition. Not wet, but not dry and powdery. I rode somewhere around 50 miles today and didn't get a speck of mud on the bike. It was so clean that I could have just rinsed the sand dust off it with a garden hose to make it spotless again. My gear was so clean I just shook out any sand that was on it and stuck it back into the gearbag for the next ride.

Only downside to Manchester was that sand will work you out.... It was like a 2 for 1 sale, I got the workout of 2 rides on one! And I went through some gasoline too, you ride with alot more throttle in the sand.

Whoops were out there, but not too bad. Enough to keep your speed in check, but not enough to dampen the fun.

For Gmoss and Darren, and anyone else not well used to riding in the sand... Better get down there before Sumpter and practice. I was riding like crap till later in the day, takes some time to get adjusted to the different kind of riding sand requires. \

Oh and btw, did I mention that there was ZERO mud? Perfect conditions???

And lastly, got to take a guys Beemer 450 for a ride while I was down there. Bike felt heavier than my 300, but not too bad. I kinda liked it....

that sounds like fun, the conditions were apparently perfect. I thought about risking the drive (that it could be a freezing muddy hell) but in the end the distance was the last straw....i believe it will be a good 3 hour drive for me. maybe next time

Yeah, I tried to get Greg to come..... even offered to call the highway patrol to help yank his van out onto the road :moon:

It is a long drive. But hey, when everything else around here is a mess, you can count on Manchester to be somewhere clean and interesting to ride.

I rode Harry, Mike and Phil ( one of footys friends and a dam fast dude! ) , and met a ton of guys out at the single track area. For the most part, it is amazing how fast some of those guys ride in the sand. I'd like to ride Brown this upcoming week, but more winter weather is supposed to be coming in a few days, so Manchester might be the only choice for next weekend. So make plans now

Sounds awesome Ron. Glad it was not too whooped out.

Do they still have the sand mx track?

Also, are they only open on Sundays, through the end of the year?

Was it all logged out?

I scored a front/rear respring for the YZ for $60 off ebay, so there went my gas money.

Stock YZ450F springs barely used.

Edited by mliebal
correction

Sounds awesome Ron. Glad it was not too whooped out.

Do they still have the sand mx track?

Also, are they only open on Sundays, through the end of the year?

Was it all logged out?

I scored a front/rear respring for the YZ for $60 off ebay, so there went my gas money.

Stock WR450F springs barely used.

Sand track is still there, but it is confusing to know what direction to ride it in if no one else is riding it when you go to ride it.

As far as I know, it is open Sundays only till the end of the year.

There was a big area that was clear cut and it looked like they weren't done logging it yet. This did mess up the trails as the trails go right into the area the loggers worked and disappear. If you just ride through the logged area you can pick up the trails on the other side of the clearing and keep on going.

Gmoss, Brown will probably still have snow on it, but who knows.... I might be willing to go over there wednesday with you pending the snow is mostly melted.