Old man (45+) want to race - which class?

Here's the deal. My son (age 11) and I have now been riding for only 2 years - trail riding mostly. But late last year, he started to get bit by the "racing bug" and did 3 or 4 races on his KX65 in 65 beginner class.

Well, the old man - that would be me - has been watching a bit and thinking....since I'm spending all this time at the track, what if I wanted to get out there and embarass myself??

First thing I need to do is get a bike more suited to some light duty MX'ing - the Honda CRF230f trail bike won't cut it very well. So I'm in the market for either a CRF250R or a YX250 2 stroke.

The real question is once I have the bike, which class is most accomodating to an absolute racing rookie? Looks like I have the choice of 45+ Vet, 250 C, or open C

Haven't a clue which one to start in - if I had to guess, I'd say 250C? :moon:

Could use some input and didn't see a better forum to through this out in than here. Thanks for any thoughts!!

the only problem with the "c" classes is you have a bunch of pea brain kids who have more balls than brains...some will be way faster than you and pretty no control... if it were me I would race an age class...stay away from the kids...if you do race the c class either holeshot or be dead last in the first turn because there will be cranage...

Ditto. Here in Co we have a senior novice class i am racing in next summer. good luck.

My question, 250 vs. 450. I keep seeing these ads in craigslist that the 450 is too fast and too much bike. Not intimidated by it, but can't afford to get hurt too badly.

Thoughts for a 6 foot 200 lb guy?

Poor advice guys. Hey I'm older and just got back into racing after a 20 some odd year hiatus. I thought to start in a age class, but I got my ass kicked. Almost lapped each time. Although I had the track to myself out of 20 riders. Good for a begginer. But not for competition. I moved to a 450 beginner class, yes there are yourger wild kids there, but they are all beginners going the similar speed and style. Any class is going to have faster and slower riders. Wild and timid riders. Run a begginer class to get your feet wet. Then move into a age class. Remember the majority of riders in age classes have been riding non-stop and have way more skills

Poor advice guys. Hey I'm older and just got back into racing after a 20 some odd year hiatus. I thought to start in a age class, but I got my ass kicked. Almost lapped each time. Although I had the track to myself out of 20 riders. Good for a begginer. But not for competition. I moved to a 450 beginner class, yes there are yourger wild kids there, but they are all beginners going the similar speed and style. Any class is going to have faster and slower riders. Wild and timid riders. Run a begginer class to get your feet wet. Then move into a age class. Remember the majority of riders in age classes have been riding non-stop and have way more skills

Thats why they have beginner vet classes. I started by running in 450D and finished mid pack and I was the oldest one in the class by far, then I switched to 30+ AM and got some 2nd and 3rd place finishes no wins yet but I might sooner or later.

Thats why they have beginner vet classes. I started by running in 450D and finished mid pack and I was the oldest one in the class by far, then I switched to 30+ AM and got some 2nd and 3rd place finishes no wins yet but I might sooner or later.

Well I'm glad they have a vet begginer in your neck of the woods. They don't have one here. Its just 30's and 40's Novice, Amatuer and Expert.

If he has an over 30 or 40 Begginer class then more power to him.

Hey yeah old geezer,I WOULD PERSONALLY STAY AWAY FROM THE BIG BIKE BEGINNERS CLASS!In our usra races we have junior age class`s i am 48 and race over25,30,and 40 class`s.Believe it or not the fastest riders are in the over 40 class,also we have a sportsman class that is good for beginners because it is a no jump class that people who do not like to jump but like to race get in,let me put 1 thought in your head>>>>>go out and ride and have a great time,who gives a hoot what place you take when you are new at it?I WOULD RATHER TAKE LAST PLACE THEN SIT ON THE BLEACHERS BEING A POSER!

If i read right and your in Michigan...? you will want to race the 30 plus sport class. All of the d14 tracks and GLMX run it. Its aimed at being a beginner class for the people that started racing latter in life. It is a lot slower and safer than any of the c classes. I am a club member at bulldogs here in millington mi, pm me if you have any other questions about d14 racing.

Classes are different all over the country. I would say VetC, but I looked at results from Red Bud, and it looks like the vet classes are just by age. Around here we have A and B for all the ages classes up to 40, and C for the 30+. What is "Vet Sport"? Sounds like it could be interesting. Also, I wouldn't be too worried about the 45+ class. By that age the riders fall into two groups:

1. Fast guys that have been racing for 25+ years. These should be fairly safe riders, since most have learned how not to crash.

2. Guys like you just doing it for fun.

Wouldn't those classes be the same as A,B,C ? This was the first year I ever raced in my life(anything). I'm 50+years old and ran the C-45+ class and ran middle of the pack. I thought this was a good class because the older guys are good to race with, we started 3 lines from the last rows( last two rows were unlimited) and yes some of those guys were young and very fast, I would know they would be coming, so I would just let the fast guys around when they caught me. There will always be some faster and some slower some a lot faster and some a lot slower. Also some series it is easier to move to a higher class rather than to move down.

Well I must admit, I'm amazed how many responses i got and how quickly - they were very helpful. And I think I have my answer - both D14 and GLMX have a class known as "vet sport" which is described as "Beginner or non competitive racer" ....that's me!

See ya at the track! I'll be the slow one with the grin on my face...:moon:

I grew up 5 miles from Red Bud. :moon:

When I lived in Maryland there was 2 classes for each age classes....B/C and A and both classes are filled......and usually the largest classes.

Moved to the Carolinas and they dump everyone in the same class and its intimidating having the A riders jumping over you! That alone keeps me from racing more than once or twice a year and the class has low numbers.

I grew up 5 miles from Red Bud. :moon:

When I lived in Maryland there was 2 classes for each age classes....B/C and A and both classes are filled......and usually the largest classes.

Moved to the Carolinas and they dump everyone in the same class and its intimidating having the A riders jumping over you! That alone keeps me from racing more than once or twice a year and the class has low numbers.

IT WOULD BE NICE IF DISTRICT 29 WOULD AD A 40+ OR 45+ AMATEUR CLASS.MOST OF THE AGE CLASSES IN N.C. HAVE RIDERS THAT STILL COMPETE AND FINISH IN THE TOP 5 OF THE A CLASSES.IT IS TUFF FOR A D CLASS SENIOR RIDER TO FIND A CLASS TO RACE IN WHEN YOU ARE OVER 40:banghead:

Well I must admit, I'm amazed how many responses i got and how quickly - they were very helpful. And I think I have my answer - both D14 and GLMX have a class known as "vet sport" which is described as "Beginner or non competitive racer" ....that's me!

See ya at the track! I'll be the slow one with the grin on my face...:moon:

Man I am jealous. I wish I had a old man sport class. All I got is the stronger old man class, and they are competative. When in their class block passes and bar banging is common. Luckily I am way bigger than they are and can hold my own.

So right now its 450 begginer and over 30 Amatuer.