Sign in to follow this  

Headlight conversion for night racing?

Hi all, this year I was involved in a 24 hour enduro on my WR250f 03, bike performed fantasic but was left lacking in the lighting department on the night stages. As most of you I'm sure will agree the standard WR headlight is not the best at projecting any kind of beam to show the way ahead.

Now I know I could just buy a beautiful Baja or Trail Tech HID unit which would give me the daylight I need for next years race but I'm looking for something a bit easier on the pocket.

I could just adapt a car spot light or similar with a 100w halogen bulb and mount that but will the lighting coil on the WR have enough oomph to power it? will I melt the wiring loom? It doesn't need to be pretty but it does need to project a good wide and far reaching beam.

Has anyone tried their own adaptions with success?

I'd rather learn from your mistakes than mine!

Thanks in advance.

Kragen has a 7" Off-Road HID light kit for $135... 35W HID, 3200 Lumens, Built in Starter and Balast!

http://kragen.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=99000CSK&CategoryCode=3157D

It's intended for use on 4-wheelers (and has a post style mount) - but at $135 I figured I could come up with a mounting system... (I haven't done anything with it yet).

Thanks for the input folks.

The Kragen unit looks good especially for the money, unfortunatley they don't ship to the UK although I have emailed them just to ask.

A 100w could be good but would the standard WR wiring take the extra load or would I need to make some alterations?

I think a good setup would be 100w standard light and then the HID unit mounted above it so as to get two beams, one low and wide for the slower sections and then one far reaching for the fast fire roads.

Does anyone jnow how much power I can safely pull out of the standard stator? Is 135w too much?

Thanks Trevor.

Thanks for the input folks.

The Kragen unit looks good especially for the money, unfortunatley they don't ship to the UK although I have emailed them just to ask.

A 100w could be good but would the standard WR wiring take the extra load or would I need to make some alterations?

I think a good setup would be 100w standard light and then the HID unit mounted above it so as to get two beams, one low and wide for the slower sections and then one far reaching for the fast fire roads.

Does anyone jnow how much power I can safely pull out of the standard stator? Is 135w too much?

Thanks Trevor.

Go to District 37 AMA message board to Pit Row and do a search for anything associated with lights. People racing their nightime desert races series have asked the same questions you have. Another option is to go with a battery powered light.

Go to District 37 AMA message board to Pit Row and do a search for anything associated with lights. People racing their nightime desert races series have asked the same questions you have. Another option is to go with a battery powered light.

Thanks for that link, wealth of info on night race lights, I'll do my homework.