Sign in to follow this  

First Dirt Bike: KX100

Hey all, been lurking awhile and thought I'd finally post. I've been riding street bikes for 7 years and recently got bit by the "dirtbike-bug". So, with about 4 days of actual dirt bike experience under my belt we began shopping. We did ALOT of reading, both here and other similar forums, trying to decide what would be a good dirt bike for me to learn on. Also I tried to ride as many different bikes as possible to get a better feel for each one. I'm 5'4" 115lbs and only have a 29 1/2" inseam, so allot of bikes we looked at felt TOO big or were TOO tall. I couldn't even touch on the KTM 200 and the Honda 150r just "felt" too big to me. I know they can be lowered and I feel the 200 will likely be a good “future” bike for me.

I had ridden a ttr125 and it really felt too small. Also, I've learned to jump and I like it, so I felt like I'd quickly out-jump the little 125's suspension. Another consideration was that as 4 strokes get bigger in engine size, they also get heavier.

Finally I decided to bite the bullet and learn 2 stroke before too many 4stroke habits could set in. I rode a KTM 105 and it was a great little bike, but I hated the seat as I hadn't gotten comfortable standing all the time yet, and I felt it was a little pricey for my first bike which would likely be taking a lot of "learning abuse".

Then I rode a friend’s KX100 that was geared higher in the rear and lower in the front. While it's a tad tall, the suspension was made for jumping and it seemed to "fit" me the best. I could touch most of the time and pick it up myself. Also it felt like a good size too me, not too big, not too small.

As soon as I decided on which bike, we found one used and picked it up. My first ride was a mix of **** and Whoo that was fun. When that power band hits, you got to be looking where you want to go, because by golly, it's going! Right Now! Hold On! Being lighter, the rear end is also a little "squirrelier" than the 4 strokes. But once you stand up (like you're supposed to) it doesn't bother you as much.

Well, after 2 days of riding the local dirt bike park (Highland Park), I left it in the owner's (Paul Wright) care to make it more user friendly. Turned out it needed a new Carb as well. He rejetted it and installed a 12oz flywheel weight. Wow, what a difference. The power band is still there, but it's a much smoother transition. Plus the jetting smoothes out the engine as well. I also got a larger sprocket for the rear as he suggested as this will make 2nd gear the more usable gear and help make my KX more trail friendly. I’ve since installed some aluminum handgaurds as well, to help save my hands and the levers.

BTW this was a GREAT thread on making a KX100 friendlier for trails and wives.:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496560&highlight=kx100

No full report yet as it's been raining every weekend here, but I hope to get out to play on my "new" bike soon. I did learn a few things about 2 strokes already though.

No engine breaking for down hills. But Paul's been working with me on just riding down them without brakes anyway.

My bike has a small gas tank. Fill up at every break. No exceptions.

2 strokes are a lot higher maintenance than my street bikes. I can't even remember when the last time was that I washed my street bike. My dirt bike, after every ride. Plus I got to change the tranny oil every couple of rides as well as clean the air filter. On the plus side, maintenance is much easier with a dirt bike as everything is more accessible.

Still learning to kick start a bike. I miss my magic button. But the Flywheel weight helps with this as well as it make it easier to start.

Here are a couple of pics:

727136700_XLuuD-M.jpg

727137333_BsoBQ-M.jpg

Like I said, I’ve since installed the handgaurds. Debating on a skid plate or not. They’re pretty minimal on these bikes, not even protecting the pipe. Plus the engine sits up pretty high in the frame. Will likely get a side stand in the future though, as there’s not always a handy tree on the trails to park my bike on.

I will post more as I get out and ride. Looks like we’re in for a cold wet winter though.:moon:

Welcome aboard and congrats on the bike! You'll be ready for that 200 in no time. NiceUserName transitioned from a KX100 to a 200KTM and hasn't looked back (and she's about your same height). You'll have to plan yourself a trip to Michigan to ride once you get some miles on your belt. We have loads and loads of sand... fun fun sand! The best part is the great gals to ride with. :moon:

Thanks for the welcomes. I decided the skid plate isn't really for protection,but rather for keeping this bike planted on the bike stand while working on it. :moon:

My daughter has a Monster 85 and we ride trails . Unless your trails have no rocks , I would get one . Enjoy the ride , she loves hers !!

Gypsyangel - Just wanted to let you know that your post was very helpful. That, and now I am jazzed to get my own KX100. I had posted a thread on here not that long ago asking for suggestions on bikes. This very bike was suggested and another poster has one of her own as well. I am definately interested in trying one out, and come Spring will plan to do so. Thanks for sharing.:moon:

Gypsyangel - Just wanted to let you know that your post was very helpful. That, and now I am jazzed to get my own KX100. I had posted a thread on here not that long ago asking for suggestions on bikes. This very bike was suggested and another poster has one of her own as well. I am definately interested in trying one out, and come Spring will plan to do so. Thanks for sharing.:moon:

You're very welcome. I'd deffinately try to try one that had a flywheel weight already on it. It really helps.:cheers:

Grats on the new bike and enjoy! What do you have for a street bike?

I have an 08' Kawisaki 650r and an 01' Yamaha XT225 currently. Just sold my ninja 250. I used the 250 for commuting and the 650r for touring.The XT I got to ride the Trans American Trail. We did Jellico,Tn. to Oark Arkansas back in May.

hey congrats on your bike! :moon: i totally wanted a kx100 for my first bike last year, but i found a crf150f...

i've been wantin to check out highland park, but i havent made it that far from memphis yet.

i also ride a dr650 so holla if u come out this way to ds !

So I FINALLY got to go out and play on my bike since I've gotten all the mods for the first time yesterday. Wow just doesn't seem to cut it. This bike is so different. It's a much tamer and easier to manage bike. 1st gear is pretty much just for hills that I didn't get enough momentum for now. I spent most of the time in 2nd or 3rd and even got up to 4th on the wide open peremeter trail at HP. My hubby took me back on a few trails and I did much better than my first time on trails. I'm starting to get the hang of ruts and brake slides,but still lack alot of momentum.Ah well,practice,practice,practice.

I even let my hubby ride it for a bit and he said it felt like it now had two powerbands. The first one that hits is very manageable,no more whiplash. The second one hits much harder and will appearantly send you into "wheelie mode". I haven't hit that one yet,thank goodness. But this bike is so much easier to handle even at slow speeds as I tend to sometimes creep around obstacles.No fear of stalling it anymore and it's much easier to kickstart.

I deffinately don't regret getting this bike to start on. It'll be quite awhile before I outgrow it and the bigger wheels help deal with obstacles on the trails. I even told my hubby that the bike was now too honest, as I should've been spit off several times on the trails,but the bikes power and suspension help make up for what I lacked in talent.

I can't wait to get back out and play somemore on my new bike.

I have an 08' Kawisaki 650r and an 01' Yamaha XT225 currently. Just sold my ninja 250. I used the 250 for commuting and the 650r for touring.The XT I got to ride the Trans American Trail. We did Jellico,Tn. to Oark Arkansas back in May.

Congrats on the new bike. Looks as though you're all ready to have a lot of fun.

I had a Ninja 650R and loved it. Wished I could have kept it but room and $$ for so many bikes. I traded it for a BMW G650GS dual sport. Also have a TTR125 and am looking to move up to something a bit bigger. And.... because I love the power, I have a Yamaha FJR1300 too.