Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF230F back brake problems....

The back brakes on my 230 fade after five or ten minutes of riding.I I tighten them up and they work perfect, then after hitting the brakes a dozen times or so you can stand on the brake and it will barely slow the bike down. I put new drums on it but it still does the same thing.

Does anybody have any suggestions???

That's drum brakes for you.

The smartass in my wants to say "Lay off the brakes!" That's not very productive, so we'll try another route.

You'll probably get the most mileage out of modifying your riding style to use more front brake or engine braking instead of rear brake. A good technique is to practice putting weight over the front by getting your elbows high and sitting forward on the seat. If you attack corners a little harder you won't brake so hard going into them!

You might want to consult the "riding technique" section of the forums if you choose to follow this route. Have fun!

-Tom

That's the one thing I hated on the TTR 230, always adjusting the brakes. Try rotating the brake arm an extra notch or two to give you additional adjustment threads to work with.

I bought the EBC sport carbon X drums and they work fairly well. I cant remember if they did fade since I havent been riding in a while.

Try different shoes maybe...? All I can think of. When the guys suggest different drums, what part besides the pads is replaceable? --L*64

The back brakes on my 230 fade after five or ten minutes of riding.I I tighten them up and they work perfect, then after hitting the brakes a dozen times or so you can stand on the brake and it will barely slow the bike down. I put new drums on it but it still does the same thing.

Does anybody have any suggestions???

Do you mean that after the shoes wear down so far you have to adjust the brakes until eventually you run out of adjustment ?

I sand the inside of my hubs as well as my brake pads with 80-120grit sand paper to remove the glaze every 2-4 weeks

I've never had mine fade, I'd imagine your using too much rear brake

You want freeplay in the pedal, and you don't wanna be standing on the pedal so you're always taking up that freeplay

After you do all the correct prep work to the drum and the pads you need to center the brake carrier. If you loosen the axle nut and then press down fairly hard on the brake pedal while tightening the axle nut the center brake carrier will position itself so both brake pads hit as evenly as possible. Try it out.