Sign in to follow this  

07 yZ250f vs 09 YZ250f

Hi All

I have an 07 yz250 but can get a really good deal on 09. What changed and would there be any noticeable difference between the 2 regards handling?

Thanks.

Ps - don't want 2010 yz, too tall for me.

The 09 has a different swingarm and the rising link no longer goes through it like the previous years. Rear axle was also enlarged along with the swingarm to compliment the changes. Suspension was good on both bikes and personally after the sag was dialed in and clickers were set correctly they seemed to handle about the same to me. The 08+ bikes come with the higher compression piston, motor runs slightly better and the throttle response is spot on with minor adjustments.

You will not feel a huge difference but if the price is right it might be worth it.

Do you race? If not, you probably will find it hard to justify the minor changes. IMO its nicer to have a newer bike, but not always worth it.

cheaper to get a new high comp piston and revalve the suspension of your 07

You wont be able to tell a huge difference. It may feel "tighter" for a while because its new. I would probably keep the 07 given that it has been maintained and is in good shape. If its clapped out and you dont wanna fix it, upgrade.

I have owned a 07 & a 08 yz250f and didn't really notice that much difference, I have also rode a 09 and it was about the same. I would keep your 07 and save some money, Maybe put the money into suspension.

My .02 You will do just fine on the 07. As mentioned before when you do your next top end put in the 08 piston as it is 13.5:1 as opposed to the 07's 12.5:1 compression. My son has been racing 08's for the last 2 years and no one on a newer bike is beating him because of the bike. There isnt enough of a differance to really justify the money unless you are in it for factory contingencies. This year (010 I mean) I dont even know that there are much for contingencies from Yamaha.

Thanks guys. Will stick with 07 and spend the money on it when needed.

question for all you guys i have and 08 and im looking at either buying another 08 09 or 010 which one would you recomend or is there a difference because i am so happy with my 08

question for all you guys i have and 08 and im looking at either buying another 08 09 or 010 which one would you recomend or is there a difference because i am so happy with my 08

If you can get a better deal cost wise on an 08 than an 09 I would go that route. I've owned 3 08's (still own two of them) and love them. :banghead: