buying a used lifted truck: need advice

whats some problems i might be running in to when buying a used truck? ive been looking for a 00-03 chevy silverado or a gmc sierra. just because i cant pay 20 grand for a newer one.

so whats some problems with these 100k mile used trucks? anything serious?:moon:

thanks

It depends when the lift was put on. If the truck was lifted when it was new and it has 100k on it I'd probably stay away.

A lot of the time these used car lots buy older stock trucks and will lift them or lower them before they put them on the lot for sale. I wouldn't be too concerned about a clean and well maintained '00-'03 Chevy with 100k on it that has just been lifted. That truck will be good for another 100k.

Used 4x4's are a lot like used performance cars, it's hard to find one that has not been ragged. Unless you personally know the owner, I'd have a mechanic check it over. I'm the type of guy you want to buy a used 4x4 from. I'm 42, I purchased my truck new and lifted it and installed all the mods myself. I'm also not embarassed to say it's a street queen and has never seen anything more challenging than a dirt road. I'm also extremely anal about it. However, most guys that lift a truck are gonna drive it hard. Just have a mechanic check it over.

thanks guys ive found a really nice truck. 2000 gmc sierra 6 in lift brand new 35s for 9500. the only thing is is that its got 135k but its also really clean and it looks like he took care of it.

I would take it to a trusted mechanic and have a full vehicle inspection performed (front end components, brakes, driveline, check fluid levels and conditions, etc).

Could be the best $100 you ever spent.

When you test drive it, make sure you check its turning radius. Sometimes big lifts really affect that. I found that out the hard way. Also, roll it over some uneven ground with the wheels at full turn, forwards and backwards listening for any UNUSUAL sounds. Some minor groaning is normal I think.

I have four friends with lifted 99-04 silverados... Between 70-125 thousand miles.. all ride like a lifted truck and three have put over 20k on em with no issues except new tires on two of em and the other only has about 5 thousand miles on his.. no issues. one is a 4 inch lift with 33's and 2 are 6 inch lifts with 35's and the third is a 6 inch lift with 37's.. the Just make sure its checked over good and it would be the same as you lifting it...

I have about 75k + miles on my truck (2000 F250) with my Pro Comp lift (6.5" lift with 37's). I bought it brand new mid-2000. A few things to check (whether these pertain to IFS, I have no idea, my only experience is with solid axles) when buying a lifted truck:

Steering wear (power steering pump, sector shaft, pitman arm, etc)

Sway bar bushings/links

Ball joints

Wheel bearings

U-joints

Driveline angles

Speedo/transmission recalibration (this will throw mileage as wear as tranny shift points off)

That's about all I can think of that's "major". Also make sure everything lift related is torqued down to spec. Maintenance is key. Get all records if possible. If he doesn't have any, he might've never cared and you should walk away (heck I still have the original window sticker for my truck!). As mentioned, a good mechanic is the place to go, an off-road shop may even be better as they may know more of what to look for.

I would take it to a trusted mechanic and have a full vehicle inspection performed (front end components, brakes, driveline, check fluid levels and conditions, etc).

Could be the best $100 you ever spent.

Once again Chickenhauler hits it right on the head. Also +1 on the straight axle but I prefer Dodge not that its better just a preference.

Those lifted IFS Chevy's eat up front end components at an accelerated rate, and tend to wear out tires quicker than a solid axle equipped truck. If you plan on doing any type of off roading with it, I would consider looking into a solid axle truck for much improved strength, reliability, and less complexity. Also a lifted truck with bigger tires will be harder on the drivetrain, especially the tranny if it hasn't been re-geared to offset the increase in tire size over stock. Which is something I would personally be concerned about with a truck over 100K... especially something made by GM :moon:

i got a 02 silverado, had 88k when i bought in aug of this year, it almost 98k now, i got luckey tho, the truck had a easy life before i had it, i could just tell that it never got out of the big city...it dosent have a easy life now lets just say. my buddy though he was smart when he bought his low mile truck, he paid a shit ton more than me and has just as many, actually more problems, no matter the miles if its got tits or tires is gonna cost you, i had to put 2 new U joints in mine bit thoes will last the life of the truck, why you want lifted anyway, it just so much harder on everything, engine, brakes, tranney, everything

I'd be checking front wheel bearings & half shafts, idler arm, U-joints etc. The usual stuff. Also have a good flash flight with you & look for crusted mud where a typical garden hose wouldn't reach, it'll give you an indication of how much offroad abuse it's seen. Be wary of lift blocks on the rear axle, it's an indication of a cheaper lift kit. Quality lift kits have new, properly arched springs with the proper length to avoid goofy shackle angles.