Sign in to follow this  

Just had a crazy idea...as if that is anything new...

Anybody ever thought about wether or not the front end from an SV 650 would bolt up to the DR??? It look like it would be the business for a serious SM setup...17" rim..dual front discs...low fender...alloy forged rim...:moon:

Everything you could want...it might not be the easiest thing to source, but if the whole front end was a direct bolt on, it might just be the ticket for that spongy front end on the DR...

Any thoughts...???

Heavy, probably expensive, and the cast rim dents much easier (if you jump curbs and that sort of stuff).

Why not get the front end off a real supermoto bike? A single 320mm disc with a good caliper is more than enough for the DR.

Heavy, probably expensive, and the cast rim dents much easier (if you jump curbs and that sort of stuff).

Why not get the front end off a real supermoto bike? A single 320mm disc with a good caliper is more than enough for the DR.

Hey LukasM,

Thanks for the thoughts...since you live in Europe, it is probably a lot easier for you to have access to good supplies of used bike parts..having seen what you did with your bike, I know you make use of that..:moon:...It was just a wild thought, like I said...I was browsing and saw an ad for a set of used wheels from a SV which had been converted for SM use on a DR and thought, what the Heck...why not just use the whole front end..the forks are 41mm..so even if you could just get the forks...no reason why they wouldn't be able to fit in the trees of the DR,eh??? also, the "cool factor" of twin front discs and alloy rims can't be overstated..

Yeah, KTM parts are pretty common here. But there are other choices in the US as well, I think Procycle is using a DRZ-SM front end on his. Take a look around and see what the prices are like for stuff that is available locally. Worst case you can always have something shipped there as well.

And you are right, dual discs look cool. Ron over on Advrider is using a KTM 950/990 front end on his Adventure build.

IMG_3385.jpg

Yeah, KTM parts are pretty common here. But there are other choices in the US as well, I think Procycle is using a DRZ-SM front end on his. Take a look around and see what the prices are like for stuff that is available locally. Worst case you can always have something shipped there as well.

And you are right, dual discs look cool. Ron over on Advrider is using a KTM 950/990 front end on his Adventure build.

IMG_3385.jpg

That looks SWEET....:moon: Is that a straight bolt on or is there some "Fitting" required???

The triples are the same ones as on my bike, but the stem on the 950 is slightly longer I think. It will interchange with the single cylinder KTM (SX, EXC, LC4 etc) one, which is what I have on my bike. Ron decided to use the DR stem, some light machining is required in that case. You can read about it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534007

Anybody ever thought about wether or not the front end from an SV 650 would bolt up to the DR??? It look like it would be the business for a serious SM setup...17" rim..dual front discs...low fender...alloy forged rim...:moon:

Everything you could want...it might not be the easiest thing to source, but if the whole front end was a direct bolt on, it might just be the ticket for that spongy front end on the DR...

Any thoughts...???

I've seen it the other way around - DR front end on a dual sport converted SV

I've seen it the other way around - DR front end on a dual sport converted SV

So, you think the whole setup would basically bolt on???

So, you think the whole setup would basically bolt on???

I didn't say that. I don't have any idea what the builder of that particular bike had to do to make it work. My definition of 'bolt on' is probably different from most other peoples. Front end swaps are not all that difficult and can usually be accomplished by juggling bearing sizes, making spacers, swapping steering stems, etc.